TDI Engines and Vegetable Oil - Can it be used...successfully???

Well, you were indeed right about the 10lb thing. I never knew the US fl oz was /slighty/ different from the imperial one though!

Reply to
Ray

so AJH was, like...

Shame really, as I have about 40 gallons of the stuff in a drum in the back garden, left over from when we had a new oil tank for the heating. Looks JUST like diesel, smells JUST like diesel. Not that I would, or anything, but it's tempting.

At the moment it's for starting bonfires and cleaning stuff up. Bit of a waste.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Typical Merks, never could accept what someone else says, just have to go and invent their own thing and then insist they were right all along and everybody else should change! (to suit them)

Reply to
GbH

In news: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net, Richard Brookman blithered:

Quack quack!!

Reply to
GbH

You are referring to the diesel MOTR test, I was referring to the C&E test for fuel composition and just using the lpg variation of the emissions equipment used in a MOT test to show how the difference arises.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

No reason not to use it for off road or stationary engine use. Or just don't get caught.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Rich Hi,

it is the same thing here in Greece. The only parts that benefit are the oil producers and companies and more importantly the Greek State through indirect taxation gains (tax on fuel is such a form of taxation)

We Greeks are relatively lucky when you consider that we do have the cheapest fuel in Europe (maybe Portugal is on the same price level with us) but then again the income levels of people here in Greece are considerably lower than in the UK. So our price of fuel is in fact higher than yours are a percentage on a household's income.

But I would definately hate to pay almost 1.5 Euros per litre of diesel (not that this won't happen soon ....)

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Geo Hi,

are you by any chance subscribed to the

and
fora?

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

On or around Wed, 07 Sep 2005 13:43:24 +0200, AJH enlightened us thusly:

mind, there's more'n one kind, though. 28 second is what we have here, for the boiler, which I gather you can run a diesel engine on; but there's also

35 second oil, which IIRC is "the same" as red diesel
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yes, this is often known as heating oil or kero, slightly yellowish. It can cause problems with diesel as it has a poor cetane rating, also little lubricating properties.

Yes, gasoil, identical to DERV but markers added.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Somewhere to use the heating oil as a small dilution then.

It's the long walk that most people will find annoying.

I don't normally drive a diesel on the road, other than ones running on red so I cannot say, mind I have had cause to put DERV in instead of red and that hurts.

AJH

Reply to
AJH

so AJH was, like...

Just occurred to me. My ickle boat has a Perkins diesel. I have a 10 litre fuel can that I use to carry a reserve supply. This can is filled with marine (red) diesel - around 40p/litre at the moment down here.

If I empty the can into the boat's tank, then fill it with DERV and carry it in the Disco as a spare, and then run out of diesel and have to fill the car from the can - I will have traces of red diesel in my car tank.

ISTR a thread on here a while back where someone said that if C&E find even a trace of red diesel in a road vehicle, you're off for a long holiday. Would this be an acceptable explanation, do you think?

Just thinking...

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I don't think there IS an acceptable explanation! JD

Reply to
JD

No, that makes sense, you're right.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

so AJH was, like...

I've never heard of anyone having a marine tank dipped, but as marine diesel does have duty on it (although less than DERV) I expect that even that would be illegal and the penalties for being caught similarly draconian.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I didn't realise that, mind a 10% dilution would be difficult to trace. I have had the need to buy marine diesel on one occasion as there was no local agricultural supplier. I wondered why the forms I filled in to say it wasn't for road use were so draconian and the price a few pence higher.

If we can tax marine diesel what's the argument for not taxing avtur?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

marine diesel

avtur?

10% dilution would be VERY easy to trace. C&E have portable detectors that can tell far lower concentrations than that
Reply to
Andrew Mawson

so AJH was, like...

Mind, if the Govt has its way, this situation won't exist much longer. Apparently the EU want to harmonise all fuel duty rates in the near future, and our derogation on marine diesel duty runs out in 2006. In other words, unless Tony, Gordon et al make a fuss and insist on keeping the derogation (and why would they, seeing as how it will mean more money for them) then marine diesel will be taxed just like DERV from next year. There's a big campaign going on about this in the boating mags.

It won't affect me too badly, as the boat uses about half a gallon an hour at cruise, but it will make running a larger boat prohibitively expensive for some.

It will happen because boat owners are perceived to be posh (along with fox hunters etc) and therefore are fair game - unlike chefs, pop stars and poverty campaigners, who must be courted at all costs.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

words, unless Tony, Gordon

I will like meeting a man like you, plenty to say & a good point of view!!

Iv'e seen that somewhere before I'm sure!!

Nige

-- Subaru WRX (Annabel)

Landrover 110 County Station Wagon (Tyson)

'"Say hello to my little friend"

Reply to
Nige

No! Heating oil does not have the lubricaton qualities of diesel - you engine will run fine........ until the injector pump blows up.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd