TDi in Hot Climates

I am considering a Tdi (defender) as an upgrade?? to my SerIII powered by Nissan LD28. I was speaking to a chap the other day however, who has just rebuilt his 300Tdi for about the third time, and he tells me that with the aircon on, it always runs near the red on the temp guage and has from new.

An overheating wagon is not in any way acceptable as I will often be operating at over 35degCel ambient while towing upwards of a ton. I know this would be no problem for a V8 but I would prefer to avoid the fuel bills and no - we do not have LPG available at filling stations here. When I first saw a TDi Disco I thought it had an enormous rad, but then I realised that half of that was an intercooler and the other half was an oil cooler, and then you still have the aircon condensor sitting in front of that.

Do any of you who operate in hot climates find problems with the TDi engines when towing up long hills or driving in thick sand for long distances? Also how is turbo relaibility? In South Africa the Tdi is considered a bit of a crap engine as it only gets 200K between rebuilds, but I am not sure if this is due to our relatively high sulphur content diesel, or people driving them like burks - or indeed a combo of the above.

Any Comments

Regards Stephen

Reply to
Fanie

On 17/11/2003 22:07 Fanie wrote

I have a 1998 Discovery with a 300TDi. I'm in Australia, just outside Brisbane. I haven't done any towing up long hills or driving in thick sand, but I have driven it up hills when the air temp has been in the mid to high 30's without any problem.

In fact, during the winter here, it gets down to just below zero. During summer, it's common for the temperature to be in the mid 30's with up to 40 not being unheard of. On the cold days in winter, it takes a little longer to get up to the operating temp, but summer or winter, on flat drives or on hills, my temperature gauge sits in the middle and doesn't move.

About 6 months ago, I noticed a bit of mud around the thermatic fans, so I decided to clean it. I didn't remove the radiator, but I did remove the fans and move the radiator/aircon condenser and intercooler and found quite a bit of mud in there. I hadn't been in mud for a few months prior to that, so that meant that the mud had been there during the summer months of last year. It still had no real effect on the temperature gauge.

I started to wonder about the turbo a while back. I wasn't feeling the turbo kick in like it used to and thought there was a problem. I had it checked out. The turbo was fine. It was the fuel that was the problem. (I'd been using cheaper supermarket diesel because it was cheaper.)

I can't say that mine works overly hard, but I'd happily recommend them to anyone.

Reply to
Graeme Willox

Hi Fanie

I've got a 97' Discovery TDi, which I use here in Zimbabwe. Overheating has never been a problem for me Zimbabwe climate is probably similar to yours, and my gauge has never gone over half way. We've also been to Botswana towing a fairly heavy trailer (about 900kg), and even then, low ranging through deep sand on the way from Chobe to Savuti, no sign of overheating.

I have heard tales of people having problems with the fans - these are viscous coupled and have been known to fail. I have also heard that if the engine does overheat, it can be expensive (warped heads). I believe that this happened to a relation of mine - his wife was driving it and didn't notice the guage rising. There is a gizmo that you can get to cut the engine if the temperature does rise (saw it in a UK Land Rover magazine)

Having said that, I was reading a post elsewhere in this group, and that said the Kenyans and Tanzanians nearly always run TDi's - don't get much hotter than that.

So I don't think you would have anything to worry about. The only thing about TDi's (and almost any diesel), is they love clean. Clean oil, clean air, and clean fuel. Serviced regularly, they'll go a long way - keep changing the oil and filters.

Regards Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

G'Day I had a 300TDi and overheating was never a problem until the core of the radiator became blocked, I believe this was due to the fact the coolant fluid was changed at a service and the new coolant fluid was not compatable.

But other than that I have towed in high temperatures and deep sand and never had a problem. Now I have 2 TD5 and regularily tow heavy a heavy trailer in excess of 3 tonnes at speeds of 90 km to 100km with no overheating problems at all

Regards

Gord> I am considering a Tdi (defender) as an upgrade?? to my SerIII powered by

Reply to
Gordon

Hi all, I run a Discovery here in Spain, It is a working vehicle with

220.000 hard kilometres, It spends most of it life off road, Towing trailers and carry a full internal load total weight in the region 1.200kgs in total. We have never had tempreture problems regarding overheating in fact I have to disconect the fan in winter, because the engine never heats up when very cold outside. We have never had any problems with this vehicle other than it rattles a lot. the interior is not very resistant and it seems to leak everywhere(which means it now is known as the smelly car). I agree with the previous post about servicing. These cars really need clean oil and air. Goodluck with your new car Fred
Reply to
Frederic Enaj