Temp Gauge

Hi,

Would like advice on the following please - bear in mind Im far from a skilled mechanic - just picking it up as I go along:

1) I have fitted a V8 into my 86" series 1 - not a small task for me! but Im really worried about overheating, so the question is this: If I buy an aftermarket temp gauge, does anybody know what Temp a V8 3.5 Carb should be running at? The reason I ask is the aftermarket dials in my local shop all start the scale at 100° and they issue with a generic temp sender.

2) Similar to above, what oil preasure should I have?

3) Similar again, whats a good oil temp, think Im gonna fit all these gauges, Ive been 3 months getting this engine in and Im not gonna kill it by over heating - its been too hard a slog!

Thanks

Roger

1956 S1 86" V8 3.5
Reply to
Rog

Are you sure that isn't 100deg Farenheight? Starting a Water temp gauge at 100deg C seems ludicrous.

For a selection of gauges, check out

As for temp ranges, I would suggest that you're looking for 90-100degC for the water temp as a good range. much more than 110degC and you'll need to look at additional cooling.

Oil pressure, I dunno, I've never bothered much with it, if it's low, the lamp will come on. Oil temp on my V8 was about 60-ish when running, dunno how accurate that was. Flat out and both the oil and temp would rise. I once had the oil temp reading 120deg and the water at 130, even with an oil cooler fitted.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

Thank you Alex,

As much as I can find at the moment:

has built his ownengine up and stated 55psi at 1200rpm for oil so your 60 or so is in theball park.

Rog

Reply to
Rog

On or around Mon, 8 Dec 2003 10:19:38 +0000 (UTC), "Rog" enlightened us thusly:

OK, that 100 degrees if fahrenheit, I assume.

the V8 runs an 82 or an 88 degree centigrade thermostat, so you should be looking at running temperatures around the 90°C mark, I reckon, in normal conditions, I make that 194°F.

V8 oil pressure should be 30-40 psi at 2400 revs, according to the book. don't be surprised if it's a fair bit lower at hot idle.

dunno about oil temp, but I assume it shouldn't be that far adrift from engine (water) temp.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin,

Will inform of the display results when fitted!

Reply to
Rog