Temperature gauge

The needle on the temperature gauge in my 2000 TD5 Discovery is normally at 90 degress (horizontal) when the engine has warmed up. I've noticed that on the recent cold days it's at about 30-45 degrees, turning the heating off doesn't appear to increase the temperature, but if the engine has to work hard the temperature may increase.

On a couple of occassions the needle has been at 90 degrees, but turning the heating up has caused it to go to 30-45 degrees.

Is this something I should be concerned about (pending trouble), could it be the thermostat or something else?

Regards

Terry

Reply to
nemo2

On or around Thu, 09 Nov 2006 18:10:06 +0000, nemo2 enlightened us thusly:

be worth swapping the stat, to see. Make sure you get the right one, though. If you were using the heater, it's possible for the heater to over-cool the engine, but turning the heater off should make it run at normal or near-normal again.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

|| On or around Thu, 09 Nov 2006 18:10:06 +0000, nemo2 || enlightened us thusly: || ||| The needle on the temperature gauge in my 2000 TD5 Discovery is ||| normally at 90 degress (horizontal) when the engine has warmed up. ||| I've noticed that on the recent cold days it's at about 30-45 ||| degrees, turning the heating off doesn't appear to increase the ||| temperature, but if the engine has to work hard the temperature may ||| increase. ||| ||| On a couple of occassions the needle has been at 90 degrees, but ||| turning the heating up has caused it to go to 30-45 degrees. ||| ||| Is this something I should be concerned about (pending trouble), ||| could it be the thermostat or something else? || || be worth swapping the stat, to see. Make sure you get the right one, || though. If you were using the heater, it's possible for the heater || to over-cool the engine, but turning the heater off should make it || run at normal or near-normal again.

Don't forget that Td5s run very cool in any case. Mine is struggling to get any heat into the cabin the last couple of mornings.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Hi Austin,

I'll give that a try, I don't think that it's the heater causing the temperature to drop as it has never done in the past 6 years.

Regards

Terry

Reply to
nemo2