Temperature gauge problem Def 300tdi

Hi,

The temperature gauge on the Defender has started to move a lot less over the last few weeks. Even in the winter, it used to rise to the middle after about 10 minutes then stay there but now does not even move by the time I have reached the office (25 mins). A frosty start means a bloody cold journey as there is less heat coming out of the vents. If I leg it on a motorway it moves up, but still does not quite reach the middle like before.

It might have started since I drove through some water (only 40cms) but I can't be sure.

Any ideas as to what I should check would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux

The most obvious thing to do is change the thermostat. These only cost a few quid and you can buy them in places like Halfords.

Chances are that your thermostat has failed in the 'open' position, which means that the coolant is always being sent through the radiator. This means that your engine is always being over-cooled.

--> Greg

Reply to
grege

ThFailing in the open position makes a lot of sense, thanks. "Only a couple of quid" is good news too!

Regards

Guy

Reply to
Guy Lux