Testing a Fuel sender

The fuel gauge is acting erractically, mostly showing no fuel, I've been driving like this for about 18 months (it does 450 miles on a tank of desiel, so we use the trip counter), however the tank will have to come out in a couple of months to do the rear x member.

It could be either the sender, the cabling or the fuel gauge on the dash, I assume that the sender is a variable resistor, can anyone tell me what readings I should expect with a full tank & almost empty tank, i.e. high / low resistance etc, this way I cfan test the various bits and decide which I have to replace.

Thanks

John

110 200TDi CSW
Reply to
John Moorhouse

Not sure of the values (someone will i'm sure) but you will be able work it out once the fuel tank is removed. Try playing with the fuel sensor out, if no joy fit a variable resistor on the end test again, this way you can eliminate the sensor before you put the tank back. If the scaling is wrong you could add some resistors and calibrate it yourself.

Mark

Ps. Thinking about it i have a fuel tank in the 110 i'm stripping i'll have a look and see if the sensor is there and if so i'll get some readings for you!

Reply to
Jinx

On or around Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:36:56 +0100, "John Moorhouse" enlightened us thusly:

from memory the tank sender is something like 0-300 ohms, full-empty. The

60-240 I have on the gas tank never quite gets to full or empty.

There's a wiring connector on the back end of the vehicle not far from the tank which can get covered in crud and corroded.

Reply to
Austin Shackles