Testing "Theory of Tim"

Right Hobbs, the challenge is on for proving that a.f.l is actually the Source of all known knowledge... :-)

Oh, this is OT (in case anyone hadn't guessed...)

Digital Video:

I have a couple of files I've converted from VHS video tape to .mpg

The sound is well out of sync though and I wondered if anyone knows of a way to resync it without having to go unplug the video player and do it all again...

This is sort of nearly on topic as the vids I encoded are the ones from the 101 club video which I'd like to make available on DVD - especially for our overseas members.

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Is it consistently out of sync, or does the "out of syncness" vary?

If it's consistent, then TMPGEnc will let you demultiplex the sound and video, then remultiplex them with an offset.

Reply to
QrizB

Whilst not a font of knowledge I feel one of my favorite tools may assist....I had to use the below when converting a quicktime to avi as the process can't be done with the sound on.

anyway heres the link

Do I get a freebie if it works ;-)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

It seems almost perfectly 4 seconds out, throughout. I may need to rewatch it all the way through though to be sure.

Sweet... Is this obvious in the commands or do I need to know anything special?

Tim, I think we've found The Source...

Martyn

Reply to
Mother

Hmm. Having had a quick play it's possible I'm mistaken. I'm sure I've done this somewhere. Let me investigate further.

:-S

Reply to
QrizB

Right, found it. Load your broken video into TMPGEnc, choose "Setting

- Advanced" and check the "Source range" option. Double-click on it and tweak the "Audio Delay" until it's right :-)

One drawback with this method is thet you'll end up re-encoding your video (unless you can find a setting in TMPGEnc to stop this, which I haven't). If you want your original video back, you can use TMPGEnc's "File - MPEG Tools" to create a mpg that uses the video of the original file and the audio of the new one.

I suspect that my explanation is as clear as mud :-(

Reply to
QrizB

What is the resolution like to watch and how much footage can you get on a

700 meg cdrom.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

depends on the encoding rate. I generally use 1000-1500 kbps, which makes a couple of minutes easily within range of broadband transmission to Dad in Australia. Quality is probably roughly comparabe to a vhs.

i can send you links to a couple of samples if you like.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

You should check out Virtual Dub.

's a video stream processor - kinda like the video equivalent ofPaintshop Pro (old Paintshop, not the new one). It handles a wholerange of formats, and has a host of options for sound and videoprocessing. It's fast too (and free).

- Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

The big problem with VirtualDub (and it's derivatives) is that it can only produce AVIs, not MPEGs. That's where TMPGEnc comes into its own

- and it's also free-ish.

Reply to
QrizB