The joys of owning a landrover....

Spent most of this weekend in my trusty N plate disco, Friday evening=20 consisted of picking up an Edwardian dresser with a large mirrored=20 top, from near my home in Leatherhead, dropping the back seats was the=20 only way it was going to come close to fitting, even then it was a=20 squeeze! Saturday morning early, the dresser was delivered to my=20 parents in Bromley, and then the real journey started which was a=20 three hour drive up to Nottingham, to visit amongst other places=20 Anchor Surplus, if you need a generator or a trailer for the landrover=20 this place is worth a visit. Then it was up to Derby to fill the back=20 of the Disco up with computer items, again having to drop the seats,=20 and fill the space floor to ceiling! Seeing as the Derby Anchor=20 Surplus was just round the corner we popped in, so if you need a Green=20 Goddess or a Series 1 chassis, or even a complete Series 1 with road=20 tax for this year these people are the people to go to. Off home now,=20 but the trusty disco was 'weaving', perhaps with the new load we=20 thought, although it was not that heavy, the tracking perhaps....having=20 pulled into the services I discovered the nearside front tyre was at=20

40psi whilst the rest were at 30psi, so loosing the spare 10psi cured=20 the problem. Back to Bromley, then onto Leatherhead, and its Saturday=20 evening and the Disco's done a further 450 Miles with no problems,=20 Sunday, back down to Orpington, then Bromley with seats up, taking=20 Children, 2 sets of golf clubs and a 22" TV around to various=20 places....then back home....add another 75 miles to the clock, and my full=20 tank of Diesel on Saturday AM (=A370!!) is in need of filling again. =20 But what a good all-round vehicle, and with no mechanical=20 problems.....now you wouldn't fit that lot into a Volvo !!!
Reply to
James

:-P

Mind you, Volvo trucks are a separate company to Volvo cars, I think volvo cars are or were owned by ford but memory might be playing tricks.

A friend just bought ebay item 170071019517, a volvo C303 4x4 soft-top, possibly the ugliest truck ever invented!

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Good grief Ian don't say things like that about a motor that looks half 101 and half Pinz Hammonds hospital bed is free now you know! Anyway it's a whole lot better looking than the old BMC/ Morris FG and FM or even the FF and I bet drives a lot better as well. Derek Showing his age.

Reply to
Derek

..... and it has nice axles.

Reply to
Dougal

Did you have a look at the ebay auction? The pics on the volvoc303.co.uk site are of the hard-top variant, the ebay one is the soft-top, that's the ugly one. The soft-top looks like the truck was driven through the scrap bin of a tent factory. It's got an odd roll-cage that hinges forward in a rather puzzling manner.

Good value for money, but I suspect the paper bag you'd be compelled to wear when driving it would rustle a bit in the wind ;-)

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Naw I would be happy driving it trust me I have driven much worse set of goggles might be an idea though , I have to agree the soft top is total pants and looking at some photo's genuine military rags too I know a man who would do a proper job on that Curtainsider PVC would tidy it up a treat or better a tailored green canvas tilt.

Derek

Reply to
Derek

Well, even so they'd still be the "ugly truck" of American lore, as in "Wow dude, she so ugly she musta got hit by the Volvo C303 soft-top".

Mind you if you do fancy driving one, they go for £3,000 for a good one, even the 6x6 seems to go for that much. Compared to £10,000 for a good 6x6 pinz or £4,000 for a good 101 you do get a lot of truck for the money.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Nowt wrong with those FGs, I've had a few of those big and small.

Martin

Reply to
Oily

On or around Mon, 29 Jan 2007 20:46:25 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I gather the 303 uses 109" LR drum brakes, too.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 29 Jan 2007 22:05:10 +0000, Ian Rawlings enlightened us thusly:

I was eyeing them up, but I'm rather committed to the 110/transit project now.

there's a SWB 1998 county transit van on a classified on fleabay ATM, but he wants 5K for it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles