The next unofficial... Keswick anyone?

Well we have Christmas too look forwards to now, then New year.... then Nowt.... :0(

Anyone up for another Unofficial say in 6 Months ? Should put it around April

I know of a cracking campsite here...

This site overlooks Derwent and Keswick and the Catbells mountains, views are to die for. It's truely beautiful and has cracking Caravan and camping facilities.

Nice Hotel which allows you to use their lounge/ bar and kids welcome. Campers kitchen and the usual shower facilities. Statics for rent too.

Should be some off road places nearby and failing that far too much scenary to take in in one weekend. I've done a bit of scouting around last Easter and last October so know a few good places to visit if only for an Expo-picnic.

I personally could do 18th to 23rd April, This avoids the bank holidays , 1 because it's busy and 2 because I get paid humongous amounts of money to work them. These Dates also happen to be in Half term (at least for our school).

May seem early to start planning another but it gives something to look forawrd too :0)

Also no excuse for our Northen Brethern (UK that is) not to attend :0)

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

Sounds like an idea. Six months isn't that far away really is it. At least it doesn't seem it anymore. By the time Christmas is over and the hangovers have cleared it will be nearly time.

I might even borrow a caravan to come up there; now that IS serious. I've had a thought since meeting you lot last week though that if you all come down this way again at that's to go to:...............

The guy "Jumbo" who runs it is a throughly nice chap and is the recently retired chairman of the local 4x4 group who is always out to help. He has plenty of camping space and absolutely fantastic off-roading. It's about another 15 miles or so down the A40 from where you turned off to go to the last campsite.

Here you have the added bonus of being within a few miles of the Pembrokeshire Coast National Park.

and it won't be too overun with holiday-makers either. Lots of options.

Dave

Reply to
edeowner

Let's start with typewriters."

I would mate but you would take the P*ss out of me driving the scooby Derek

Reply to
Derek

During stardate Sat, 22 Oct 2005 17:40:17 GMT, "Derek" uttered the imortal words:

Nah, If you haven't got a landie by then , then a long weekend of them would be sufficient to send you far enough over the egde to run to the nearest Internet Cafe and start a Ebay bidding frenzie. :0)

I quite like Scoobies being fond of Beetles they made good engine donors in the old days.

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

During stardate 22 Oct 2005 10:37:50 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com uttered the imortal words:

H'mm just noticed Castlerigg have a no groups and no reservations for campers (tents) policy as does the site across the road from them. :0(

I would imagine an Off road site would be good but there is a need for shower facilities for some (we have ours with us).

I'd be happy to do Wales again if for a long weekend but would like to explore other regions too. Any other suggestions folks?

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

so snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com was, like...

I had a chat with Jumbo just before the October do, to see if he was willing to cater for us if the K-Quads thing fell through. He wanted 60 squid a vehicle (although that would include camping) and was not too keen on us being "unsupervised". I said we were all mature and experienced kinda guys (I lie well) and he said it was OK, sort of, but he was planning for one instructor per two vehicles until I stopped him. You know how safety-concious he is.

He may be talked round, but on that cost I doubt if many would be willing to make the journey. If anyone is interested, I am sure that between us we can make him see sense.

But you're right - the site is superb, with something for everyone. Fields, quarry (x2), woodland, massive climbs and drops. Off-road heaven.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

so Lee_D was, like...

I'm up for anything really. Sad, but there it is. I really did enjoy the October meet.

Somewhere in the Lakes would be tremendous, although a site with a "no groups" policy, while understandable*, is not really much use to the likes of us.

May I suggest that everyone here puts their thinking caps on, and has a mental search of their own areas, on the lookout for the following:

a.. Quiet, out-of-the-way campsite, which allows groups, well-behaved animals (that takes care of a.f.l.) and dogs b.. Offroad site within 15 miles, with pay and play attitude, good terrain etc c.. Decent pub nearby (in case of foul weather) and another within striking distance for Sunday lunch d.. Nice scenery for the scenic drive to the Sunday lunch destination e.. Any other local attractions of the "big boys toys" variety If this part of Wales is a possibility, I am happy to organise the next one and save Steve the hassle. Otherwise, fire away. Who's got some good ideas?

Reply to
Richard Brookman

Forgotten addendum:

  • would you really want to be camping next to us?
Reply to
Richard Brookman

Well he's used me as an instructor before (fool) and you're as experienced as me (and much more sensible). So that's two. The thing with Jumbo is that he starts being safety concious and then he forgets about it. I reckon if we told him just limited parts of Woodpark such as the bottom quarry and the drive through the middle he's be fine about it. (He owes me 60quid for two tyres anyway so he can knock that off for a start!!!) Some of it is only really do-able with a trialler or sacrificial vehicle anyway, the upper quarry is OOB I think but there's so much more to enjoy and you could spend half a day just driving round.

There's lots of possibilities. What's to stop us spending a half day at Jumbos with a camp fire etc in the evening, and we could even head North into Mid Wales for a day. There's the coast park etc etc

Just had another idea. We've still got the road books for the sly fox i'm sure some of those routes are still driveable and not just private land such as Cannaston woods. I'm pretty sure that if we spoke to Jamie about Dale farm where we were for the Sly Fox this year would be a great place to stay, and that off road area was very nearby and right on the coast too. Was great driving along the cliff tops if I remember!!

Maybe they could even come down for the Sly Fox next year, mind you, not sure ww4x4 would be able to cope.

I'd certainly help / joint organise though if everyone wants to come down again. Someones going to have to let me have a drive of a 101 in payment though!!

Dave

94 Range Rover Tdi '94 Discovery Tdi (in bits) '84 Landrover 90 2.5D '72 Range Rover bobtail V8 trialler / comper '62 Series 2a trialler (retd.)
Reply to
edeowner

I'm sorry to have missed the last unofficial. And I'd pretty much decided to try and get to the UK for one or another of the afl functions. If it's going to be at Dale farm and surrounds I'll make a special effort to try and get there - I've driven most of that area many years ago.

Reply to
EMB

During stardate Sat, 22 Oct 2005 19:35:13 +0100, "Richard Brookman" uttered the imortal words:

I've pinged Dave Mitchells Landcraft site to see what they may be able to come up with and for any local camp site recomendations too.

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

[Snip rest]

Yep. Book it.

(Well volunteered to organise it, too, by the way) :-)

Reply to
Mother

I have an axe.

Reply to
Mother

On or around Sat, 22 Oct 2005 18:20:53 +0100, Lee_D enlightened us thusly:

Looks like Easter holidays to me.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

First posting on the group so please excuse the hiccoughs (too much wine).

Chocolate cake seemed to be the 'must have' at Emma's expense in Myhachlog-Ddu. If you let Rich and myself intrude on the 101 scene again then I will make a promise: Chocolate cake all round PLUS Flapjacks.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

so Di Brookman was, like...

Chocolate cake? I didn't get any! But I can recommend the flapjacks.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

During stardate Sat, 22 Oct 2005 23:01:43 +0100, "Richard Brookman" uttered the imortal words:

The mini-me's would be well impressed with anything begining in cake and ending in cake too.

Any prospective 101 club members are welcome ;0) ...they are dangerously contageous though. Before you know it you'll be googling anti malari pills. (101's not the cake!)

Lee D

-- "I'm all in favor of keeping dangerous weapons out of the hands of fools. Let's start with typewriters."

- Frank Lloyd Wright (1868-1959)

'76 101 Camper '64 88" IIa V8 Auto '97 Disco ES Auto LPG'd '01 Laguna

Reply to
Lee_D

I doesnt take that much to push me over the edge I've had to climb back 3 times this last week if I had the insurance sorted............................# 4582916363 but no such ruddy luck . Derek

Reply to
Derek

Ah, hadn't spotted the 'Di' at the bottom til now, welcome!

The garlic bread was most welcome, too :-)

Oh my god... I can almost hear my Tailor booking his Nepal trekking holiday as I type.

Reply to
Mother

Let's start with typewriters."

How about Biggin - about half way between Buxton and Ashbourne? The quarry could be booked for playing, and I know loads of lanes within a few miles (easily a full day out). The camp site is behind the pub (good beer and food).

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd