the V8 option

Hmm, this may complicate matters as I definatly want a snorkel on, happy to use one with a mushroom top such as the mantec.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

On or around Sun, 20 Mar 2005 17:25:32 +0000, MVP enlightened us thusly:

mushroom top style should be OK, I'd think. The main point is not to have a forward-facing inlet, which as Badger says will give a ram air effect and upset the mixture.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

All duly noted Austin, top-man ;o)

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

no worries there then.

The range issue keeps bugging me, one I've been looking at has a range of only 160miles, which means hafing to play several fillups on my longer trips that would not usually be an issue. I'll talk to someone about tank locations on a disco and see if I can get something large in place of most of the petrol tank.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

On or around Sun, 20 Mar 2005 21:17:44 +0000, MVP enlightened us thusly:

has prices, now, and online ordering. Sadly, the pictures have vanished, it seems, I've emailed him about that (I know him, he lives about 4 miles away, and I've worked for him sometimes)

You're looking at

Wing mounted alternative petrol tanks - RR or Discovery and

80 Litre petrol tank replacement.

The latter is a real piece of piss to fit. 4 big bolts through the floor (Personally, I drilled out the mounting points to 10mm and used 10mm bolts with big fat washers) - dunno what size they were, but the 10mm wouldn't quite fit.

The wing tank is a bit of a pain and make absolutely sure you have the right type - there are 2 kinds of filler; the one I got (only one in stock at the time, and a rush job on my part as usual :-)) had the wrong filler, which meant lots of faffing around remaking the filler pipe the right size. Apart from that (which is only a pain if you've got the wrong tank) you have to invent brackets off the chassis to hold the tank. I used some suitable heavy 40mm angle, welded to the chassis.

The other option on discos without air suspension is wing tanks, which are also on the list, twin 40 easy-fit. similar money mind. The combination of all 4 tanks comes to nearly 1500 quid, but would get you about 128l usable gas capacity, which on mine would get me at least 350 mile range.

Mind, I don't mind the regular fillups, provided I've done the homework about where gas is to be had, gives a good reason to get out for a leg-stretch and some fresh air.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks austin, 350 miles is a good range to aim for in my book, I'd be happy with that. I'm planning to include GPS in the shopping list and I think I gan get something to show me where LPG is available for that.

The wing petrol tanks go in the wings at the rear?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

I've found that once you sort the carbs and ignition system out properly, it runs fine on both, the only changeover prob I have, is that it runs a bit rough for thirty secs when changing to gas, while it clears the top of the floatbowl of petrol....

`Mark

(Still won't start on gas tho', but it does start first time on petrol, no problems at all :0) )

Reply to
Mark

I've got one Badger !

:0)

`Mark

Reply to
Mark

On or around Mon, 21 Mar 2005 10:56:16 +0000, Mark enlightened us thusly:

the approved technique is to have a 3-way on-off-on switch, switch the petrol off, run for a short while 'til the engine starts to run out of petrol in the float chambers and then put the gas on.

If you have petrol in the carbs, it probably won't, as you'll have 2 lots of fuel.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Mon, 21 Mar 2005 09:59:03 +0000, MVP enlightened us thusly:

you're looking at a fairly pricey conversion, then :-)

meanwhile, Chris says the pictures are supposed to be in the website and have obviously got lost, and should re-appear soon.

there is a chap who has one for some GPSs, I believe. There's always the option of looking 'em up beforehand on the LPGA's site, and plotting 'em on the GPS before you set out.

well, in one wing. puttign one the other side would require serious exhaust surgery.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Exactly, oooo !

I had a V8 in a lightweight, I've know people with them in all sorts of things, including trikes.

You don't buy a V8 for economy.

You don't buy a V8 because it's a sensible engine for a family car.

You certainly don't buy one for the lovely selection of bits the mechanic will charge you for working on.

How are you going to feel when you buy a TDi then remember you could have had a V8.?

Reply to
Alan

He means with the wheels on and not standing in a field with a tree growing through it.

Reply to
Alan

No, mine is whol;e and hearty, runs on both fuels well, just don't want to start on lpg. Bit of a bugger really.Oh well.

`Mark

Reply to
Mark

I had a bit of software a bit back which took the god-awful thing off the LPGA website and converted it to OS references (or was it long/lat

- I forget) using Microsoft MapPoint and Excel.

The only ballache was having to manually convert the LPGA files to Excel before I started. It ended up being easier to carry a printout.

There is, however, now an LPG map which my local station was giving away a bit back. Just had the stations plotted on a map of the country.

Reply to
Tim Hobbs

In message , Gromit writes

The early closed loop systems wouldn't start on gas. Later versions had the systems modified, partly in response to systems like the Impco variable geometry open loop systems which would and so you could have a gas only vehicle.

Reply to
hugh

In message , Austin Shackles writes

The vaporiser also needs waterproofing. This is simply done by attaching a rubber pipe to the centre air hole and running it up well above any anticipated water line - just like an axle breather.

Reply to
hugh

In message , MVP writes

Just to reiterate what has I think already been said. 2 sill tanks, say

76 litres, replace petrol tank with 80 litre tank gives 156 litres of tank capacity, @ 80% gives over 125 litres of gas - say 400 miles. Fit auxiliary petrol tank in rear wing giving approx 5 galls of usable petrol as backup.
Reply to
hugh

Working on that lot I reckon on around 12p per mile, that's bloody good. I'm awaiting a quote from a local firm

fit that lot should I find a nice 3.9. I was reading somewhere the other night that the 3.9 in the rangie is the one most prone to 'problems', is the 3.9 in the disco solid? is it the different efi the reason for the rangie one to be iffy?

how long does it take to fill-up with LPG? comparable with a tank of petrol?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

ooo with bells on

erm....

oh dear

hope to do 99% of the work myself :o)

I'd feel like I lost out whenever I saw a V8 drive by. I'm 29 and got a few years no claims, so I reckon I can afford the insurance. I do a fair amount of miles with work (self employed) and at around

12p per mile on LPG (hope my maths is right) then it's cheaper than a tdi. I'm a big fan of diesels generally but the rover V8 has to be one of the greatest engines ever and I'd like some of that. a V8 also makes one of the nicest noises ever, yes please. As long as I can afford it, this is the way I want to go :oD

Which reminds me... exhausts... is the standard disco exhaust nice and noisy V8 style? or should I look at something, erm, you know where I'm going......

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
MVP

In message , MVP writes

Just one other thing - with all this talk of snorkels and waterproofing, if you are thinking of serious off-roading, the sill tanks will hang below the chassis line and so will be exposed to being knocked. Something you need to consider.

Reply to
hugh