Thoughts on a second hand landy price?

Just been to look at a G reg Landrover 90 TD 2500. Mileage 109,000.

Not mechanically minded, and have no idea on prices of second hand landrovers.

Knocked about a bit , to be expected, but feels smooth driving.

Going back to have a second look with someone with Landrover experience hopefully if they're available.

Asking price is £3995, but I get the feeling he would come down. Any thoughts on whether this price is high/low/about right?

Reply to
Trevor Appleton

Twas Tue, 12 Oct 2004 17:33:46 +0100 when "Trevor Appleton" put finger to keyboard producing:

If the chassis and bulkhead are solid, and nothing funny happens with the engine/gearbox when driving (all gears, hi and low). then about right I'd say.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

On or around 12 Oct 2004 18:29:54 GMT, Derry Argue enlightened us thusly:

wot they all said, and check the engine over carefully for crankcase pressure etc when hot - the TD if not very well-maintained can die, at far less than 109K miles. Unless there's evidence that it's been rebuilt or replaced recently, of course.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Asking price is £3995, but I get the feeling he would come down. Any

Unless you really, really want or need the extreme capabilities or "image" of a 90, why not consider a Discovery or Range Rover? Virtually as capable off-road, and infinitely more pleasant on-road. £4000 should get you an L or M reg diesel of either model - they'll have had 5 years less to go rusty, and there's perhaps more chance of finding one that's not been abused.

Reply to
Autolycus

This is for a work vehicle. I will be carrying timber on the roof and tools e.g. chainsaw, hedge trimmer and brush cutter in the back.

Bought it tonight for 3350. Had a series 1 enthusiast with me who gave it the go over.

Need two new tyres, any tips appreciated.

Reply to
Trevor Appleton