Thoughts post diff fitting.

Well, I've swopped the diffs - grateful thanks to all who listened and contributed patiently to my endless questions.

The only problems encountered, apart from the stupid lop sided weight of the item - I've no idea how my wife carried it into her car but apparently I owe her a lot of favours now - were getting it off the studs and manoeuvring it around the bottom of the self levelling gas strut. I thought I had it all nicely set up for working on with the axle on high-ish stands only to discover that I had to lift the body a few inches to raise the bottom of the strut. Thanks heavens for high lift jacks.

Studying the old diff didn't reveal any missing or broken parts; just more play in the bearing than the new one has. However, the differential cross shaft sticks out at one side and one of the bearing nut locking fingers is bent. Would either of those matter? There are pictures here:

Rgds and thanks

Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Fri, 21 Jan 2005 17:59:10 +0000, Richard enlightened us thusly:

is there a way of getting those to come on-screen at full size? if not, I suggest a different photo-hosting site.

they come up about 640x480 here, and no obvious way to view full-size, yet claim something like 2400x1800 or something.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I'm more than open to suggestions of other hosting sites.

The Ofoto claims may be an encouragement to buy the picture. Sorry, I did not look at them.

Whilst waiting for suggestions I will try to publish them on my ISPs space.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard

Bearing lock finger bend shouldn't make any difference - but the shaft looks to stick out too far both ends - is it broken? JD

Reply to
JD

On or around Sat, 22 Jan 2005 18:58:45 +0000, Richard enlightened us thusly:

try something called fotopic.net - I don't use it meself, but I've seen it used by others.

but if you have free webspace, you may as well use it :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Austin. Apropos using my free webspace; that may well tax my computing powers just a little too much. Nildram recommend WSFTP or Leach FTP, neither of which I own or have used. Ofoto is (was) attractive because it has an idiot-proof front end. I'll persevere tho'.

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard

You may be right about the broken shaft. I can pull the exposed end out until it touches the crown wheel (correct name?). If it is broken, how could I have done that. More important, wouldn't (shouldn't?) I have heard the bang?

I was showing SWMBO how to engage and disengage the diff lock the day before the knocking became apparent - but only to the extent of 'the lever's bloody stiff to move, there now it's engaged, now do the opposite to disenged it. If it appears not to have disengaged (light on) you drive backwards until the light goes out. But AFAIUI locking the centre diff has no effect on the operation of the axle diffs - or am I wrong?

Richard

Reply to
Richard

Austin,

They're queued for fotopic at:

They're about a meg each (which may be going from the sublime to the ridiculous)

Apparently it may take up to 2 hours for them to appear!!

Sorry

Richard

Reply to
Richard

They're up there now!

Richard

Reply to
Richard

That's allowed.

It's broken. In the photo it looks as though there is a circlip intact at each end of the shaft. An unbroken shaft with circlips in place will not pull out.

Reply to
Dougal

Another bloody site that's 'optimised' for IE !

Reply to
Dougal

Oh. I can view them OK with Netscrape. What browser are you using Dougal?

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard

On or around Mon, 24 Jan 2005 09:41:01 +0000, Richard enlightened us thusly:

work in Mozilla, too, and since the shedde are invited to view someone else's fotopic-space on a regular basis, I think we'd have heard if there were serious problems with other browsers.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Netscape (7.1)! Perhaps I've got too much closed down in an attempt to keep the nasties out.

I could see the file name and image size in text form, but no image. IE showed the image.

As you might have guessed this is a general gripe about sites that have rather too many IE-specific features and there are lots of them around.

Reply to
Dougal

On or around Mon, 24 Jan 2005 19:41:18 +0000, Dougal enlightened us thusly:

I gave up on netscape a while back, when their encryption (or lack of) fought with the bank's website. Mozilla works just as well, IME. In fact, firefox is getting good an' all; and you can get it to work with different user profiles, despite that it doesn't say so or do so by default.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

'tis Netscape 7.2 that I use. might give Mozilla a go tho.

If I can use an alternave to MS I will!

Rgds Richard

Reply to
Richard