Ticking noise from fuel injection pump

Hi All,

2004 300TDi auto seems to run OK but there is a loud ticking noise from injector pump it is engine speed related, sounds a bit like and electric injector, as the solenoid opens/closes the injector, ticking only louder Any thoughts??
Reply to
Long tall ugly

Its worn and about to fail.. could last a week could last 5 years.

Just my guess.

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi Lee

Much as I thought, not worth it to replace pump..... pity I like the car..I was about to put it through an MOT I better look for another car... Do you know , Rrealisticaly, what the consumption is like on the big engine Disco? THey are very cheap now and about all I can afford.

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

On or around Fri, 30 Jan 2009 20:34:11 +0000, Long tall ugly enlightened us thusly:

you certain it's from the pump?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

2004?
Reply to
Nige

Hello Nige,

I am amzed at your restraint :-}

You are quite correct ..should be 1994 I admit to being a doddering old fool.

Well I have looked at a 97 3.9 es auto on gas (Disco) VERYpritty 100K all paperwork £1700

Tempted..what will I get to the gallon on gas??

John

Reply to
Long tall ugly

If it's well sorted about 16-18mpg, maybe a bit higher if you're not too =

heavy footed.

--=20 Regards

Steve G

Reply to
SteveG

Got the same thing ... even does it when the engine isn't running ... been like it for at least the last 18 months :-)

Reply to
SteveG

On or around Sun, 01 Feb 2009 00:03:17 GMT, SteveG enlightened us thusly:

depends on the installation, a bit. If it's a good system and well tuned, I'd still not expect much over that. Same spec (engine and box) as mine, I try not to think to much about how much juice it uses, just enjoy it while I can :-)

must get a decent exhaust, mine sounds way to quiet :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles