Time required to replace V8 cylinder heads?

As subject, really. Does anyone either know what the "book" time is for the job (on a Defender), or has done it and can remember how long it really took. The heads which are going on are secondhand, so valves already in. Thanks.

Reply to
David Millen

Takes me about 4 hours, start to finish. But then I've done a lot over the years...... Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Suggested that it would take me - as a first timer - upwards of 10 hours.

As it is something that my 3.9 RRC really needs I'd appreciate an idiots guide to the sequence.

SWMBO asseses the value of the vehicle as being less than the cost of paying someone to change the head gasket for me (if you include the cost of checking the head(s) for warping and the cost of skimming), thus if I want it done I have to do it myself - not that I want to do it!

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

For a first timer i'd put aside 2 days to do it easily. Probably strip it down on a sunday - giving you a week to get the heads worked on, and buy all the bits you need, and then reassemble the following saturday. It costs about =A330/head to get them skimmed and dont forget to put in the cost of the gaskets.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Thanks Tom

Richard