Timing Belt

Wotcha all...

I am intending to change the timing belt very shortly on my 1990 exMOD 110 - a job which is long overdue. I am aware that there is an option of replacing the timing belt with gears on the later TDi engines.

Is this an option for the n/a 2.5 diesel? Has anyone tried it? What are the positives and negatives?

Cheers Taff

Reply to
Taff

Hi Taff, yes this is an option and a good one as it ensures constant timing. Chains stretch and can effect timing. If you visit the Zeus website you will find the details of the kit

The kit you want is Z3500. And yes I do have an interest in this product as GM of company

Cheers

Phillip Simpson

Reply to
Phillip Simpson

Phillip Simpson wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Ah a GM! Does the buck stop here?

While I have no doubt you produce a spendid product, some prices would be nice, then we can make an informed judgement whether we are interested!

Sorry, but whenever I read a bit of obscure blurb about a product (and your web page qualifies in my opinion) I suspect I am being given the come on for some hard sell and a very big price.

If we are going to save as much as the page suggests, how about some figures?

Derry

1992 200tdi
Reply to
Derry Argue

Do you think you could drop the price a little? 9-)

Reply to
David French

"Alistair" wrote in news:bi78em$qbg$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com:

It seems significant that the GM never came back with prices!! If it is a bargain, what a missed opportunity for some sales! Well, well.

Derry

Reply to
Derry Argue

In article , Derry Argue writes

Zeus have sent me the price list. For mine (2.5TD), it would be 547.85.

Their performance graph shows a variation in improvement (single test vehicle) of between roughly 9kW @ 68 kph, to a low of around 1.5kW @

92 kph. At peak engine power output (around 80kph), the difference is around 3kW. Interestingly, it appears to shift the power curve downward, so that the peak (of a very rounded curve) for the belted version is around 85kph. The improvement is more pronounced at lower speeds.

There's no information on the graph about which type of engine was tested(!), although the text does state that both timing belt and gears were bedded in for a sensible distance before making the measurements.

The best case improvement of the engine under test is roughly 28% more power, the worst is around 7%.

Comments: Much detail is lacking, to aid an informed decision. Based on the above, especially the price, I couldn't justify it. I guess that if one ran a fleet (and thus could negotiate discount), you might save on both running costs and service bills - depending on the usage pattern for the vehicles, of course.

A fringe benefit is that one presumably leaves the timing cover breather plug in all the time...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Seemed to have sparked off a lot of interest... I think I will stick to the belt...

Reading the Haynes manual it looks like a bit of a job. I made some phone calls. Frogs Island in Oxfordshire will do it for just short of 200 quid. (No I don't have an interest in the company)

Reply to
Taff