Tires, tires, tires

On or around Thu, 28 Feb 2008 20:54:57 +1300, EMB enlightened us thusly:

yeah, but my point was that 205 is nominally about 2" wider than 6.00x16, and was alleged to be OK on the same rims. This was published by LR and repeated in the Haynes BoL for the late series IIIs.

The 235 is nominally (slightly) less wider than 7.50, IYSWIM.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 28 Feb 2008 13:24:27 +0000, Marc Draper enlightened us thusly:

I don't think AJS is excessive. If he popped up with 2 messages a day as an excuse to say "ajstyres" then I'd think it excessive.

Do you do mail order? Beamends unfortunately doesn't any more.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

But a 235 is, (nominally), 235mm or 9.25 inches, how can that be less than a 7.50 inch tyre, whereas a 205 (205mm) is approximately 8.1inches. Well, according to my tape measure, but it is a cheap one from Asda's. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Asda do tyres?

Reply to
GbH

I do SWYM. I think another part of the equation that we haven't mentioned yet is sidewall stiffness. A radial tyre with a soft sidewall handles significantly less well on a narrow rim than a cross-ply tyre of inherently stiffer construction.

Reply to
EMB

Well, I suppose you could pinch some off a trolley if they don't sell 'em. :-)

Oily

And a 205 on a 4.5" rim is pretty horrible!

Reply to
Dougal

And I wonder whether the BFG Commercial A/T Traction is not stiffer than the BFG All-Terrain A/T KO, which would help in that case.

Reply to
Fred Labrosse

In message , Austin Shackles writes

Sorry Austin I don't ,far too busy for that !!! Same as Richard.

Reply to
Marc Draper

On or around Fri, 29 Feb 2008 21:07:44 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

nono, stop being obtuse, now.

6" tyre is OK on SWB rim. 205 tyre is 2" wider (approx) and is stated also to be OK on the same rim, by LR.

7.5" tyre is OK on LWB rim. 235 tyre is less than 2" wider, but is claimed not to be OK.

I forget the actual rim sizes, anyone what the SWB ones were/are? But that's my point, if 205s are OK instead of 6", then 235s should be OK instead of 7.50s.

Reply to
Austin Shackles