Top Gear

Was well impressed at the stick that hilux took!!

Cant see the rangie performing as well :(

Reply to
Mark S

Mark S posted ...

Maybe not, but the equivalent 'truck cab' Defender might .. ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Did anyone notice any bracings in the windscreen when they dropped the caravan on it? Or was it just me?

Reply to
Wolverine

|| Was well impressed at the stick that hilux took!! || || Cant see the rangie performing as well :(

Never thought I'd actually feel sorry for a Toymota! I was pretty impressed too - especially after total immersion in the Bristol Channel, not just a soaking but a sinking. I thought setting it on fire was a bit much.

A guy entered one (totally standard) in a CCV trial we held last year. The huge rear overhang and road tyres meant it didn't score well, but it got round most of it. Looked similar to the Top Gear one by the end as well.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

no, they were there............

Reply to
Mark S

They must of put out the fire as soon as the director cut the scene!

Reply to
Wolverine

Noticed they only set fire to the flatbed and the cab, not the engine bay! Very tough, very capable, but I suspect not so good in deeply rutted mud!

Neil Cummins

1983 110V8 CSW LPG (any more letters?)
Reply to
Neil Cummins

Ya it definately surprised me!

recon the RR would cope ok ( would have to be diesel mind )

Jinx

Reply to
Jinx

Wolverine posted ...

Yeah, but I think that was because they were only bracing the perspex put on after the windscreen got pushed out by the sea .. I don't think they were bracing the roof at all ... ;)

Reply to
Paul - xxx

Lets face it though, in this day and age they'd have had to have removed all fluids, battery etc. before immersion in the sea or they'd have had greenpeace and all on their backs. That being the case, it's a fairly simple matter to drain the water and replace the fluids to get it running again, with a bit of bleeding. I for one would be very interested to see if a defender 110 pickup could cope with the same treatment. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

They wouldn't really need to be braced against a caravan, have you cut into one to see the gauge of the metal ? It's about as thick as this capital "I"

Reply to
Brian

Presenter Richard Hammond is a huge LR fan & owner. Write to the show and suggest it!

Cheers,

Rich

Reply to
Richard Lock

This has been done before, the imersion bit that is..... A bloke left his Meastro on the beach some years ago and the tide came in and covered it. Next day the local Rover garage went and recovered it. They changed all the fluids and it started first time. It was headline news at the time.

Richard

Reply to
richard.watson

I watched somebody park an excavator on a slipway once and walk away for the day. Predictable result. At high tide you could see just the top part of the arm peeping out above the water. Once the tide went out, it restarted, to my considerable surprise. Not sure the salt water would have done it that much good though.

David

Reply to
David French

But, to be fair, it was headline news because a Maestro started first time, not because of the immersion :-P

Reply to
QrizB