Torque converter lockup

I've asked this on a couple of magazine forums, with no real answer, so now it's time to turn to the real experts

At what road speed should the torque converter on a factory tdi Discovery or Range Rover lock up?

Mine is a conversion, with the 'box supposedly modified to suit, and it locks up at 42 mph, which suits me fine, but I'm looking to replace it with something a bit newer, and I don't want to find I'm stuck with a torque converter that rarely locks up. That would be one of the many snags with going the V8/lpg route - with a 53 mile/h lockup I'd spend far too long churning oil around, especially when towing.

Reply to
Autolycus

Its a while since I sold my classic automatic but that locked at 42 and unlocked at 38 or so. Others may be different, depending on age and 'box fitted.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

so Autolycus was, like...

Disco 300Tdi, 1993 RRC, 1997 P38 - all locked up at ~53mph.

Yup, it's an issue. Wasn't a problem on the petrols for some reason, but the Disco always seems to be in one gear too low between about 20 and the magic 53, towing or not.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

On or around Mon, 10 Oct 2005 18:40:40 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

does indeed, the ones I had in my 110 all locked up at about 50.

Reply to
Austin Shackles