Torque curve for Perkins 4203

Tried Googling to find it, but no luck, does anyone know where I might find out the torque, HP and max revs. I am investigating raising the gear ratios of my Range Rover so at the max torque it is at a reasonable speed !!!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

On Thu, 09 Nov 2006 21:37:56 GMT, "Rich" scribbled the following nonsense:

max revs about 200rpm, flat torque curve IIRC, rangies are geared plenty tall enough, so might be difficult to improve....

Reply to
Simon Isaacs

Max governed rpm of the 4203 is entirely dependant on where it came from. If from a forklift, it might only be 1600rpm, if from a commercial it could be

3600rpm. Difference is the injector pumps, from memory. I'd imagine you'd get around 80% of max torque from 1200 to max governed rpm. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

As Badger points out the hp and torque curves can vary considerably depending upon the original application of the engine.You need to be especially careful with Perkins as their engines were used in a very wide range of applications.If you contact Perkin`s technical helpdesk with the engine number they should be able to give you the info.So saying I have a figure of 63bhp @2600 rpm and 147 ft/lb torque @? for a

4.203 and 56 bhp for the same engine in a different application. I think you might be better with a 4.236. Mark.
Reply to
mark

Those figures sound about right, bugger all top end and pulls like a train from tickover to about 3000rpm. 4/203 is a bit underpowered in a Range Rover but is very economical, 4/236 will pull anything but is noisy, will stand a lot more punishment, but uses a lot more fuel. 30mpg for the former and 20mpg for the latter.

Reply to
Oily

On or around Fri, 10 Nov 2006 01:27:00 -0000, "Oily" enlightened us thusly:

Frankly, I'd not put one in my motor if you paid me. It's a fookin' ace engine for a tractor.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hear hear. As I said earler, it makes an excellent boat anchor...... Seem to remember an article in an LRO mag from years ago about a white rangie with a 4236 turbo in it, apparently it pulled very nicely, thank you very much. Only problem is the economy goes to hell, to the pint where you're better with a V8 on LPG............ Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Well thanks again for trying to put me off this bad idear, (cant use it as a boat anchor, I dont have a boat), but I dont have a V8 and this engine is free ! If I was to up the gearing by putting say taller tyres on it this would bring down the revs to where the most torque is so use more of that to keep the speed up when cruising ? We sall see what happens.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Hehe, you're welcome.

Sell it and buy a V8?

depending what transfer box is fitted, you can alter the gearing that way as well, either by swapping the gears in-situ on the early 4-speed ones, or by fitting an LT230 from a 3-speed auto if it's a 5-speed box.

Badger.

Reply to
Badger

Got a nice complete 200 TDi if you're interested, but it might not be cost effective.

Steve

Reply to
steve Taylor

Sorry don't want to seem an idiot, you all probably think that anyway for me wanting to fit a tractor engine in a Range Rover! but only ever dealt with Rover V8's and series landy's so how basic is the 200 TDi i.e. does it use a mechanically driven injection pump, what other electronics are involved ? what would it have been fitted to ?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Range Rover *is* a tractor, a comfortable one, well mine is anyway, and with a 200 Tdi in it but it's well up to its job. It's also fairly quiet when mobile and I can't see any problem with putting the Perkins in, especially if you have all the fittings but it depends on finances and if you got it for nowt then OK. If you can afford to buy a rotting Disco1 take the 200 Tdi out and you've also got all the bits, gearbox as well. You can't really beat the V8 if you can afford to run it but I've no complaints about my diesel though it is the original factory fitted engine.

Reply to
Oily

Oily, how does the 200TDi compare to the V8 in the towing ability with trailers on flat roads and hills, what box have you got coupled to the 200?

Rich

Reply to
Rich

It's a good towing vehicle but I would say not quite as good as the V8 for outright power and there isn't a lot there below 1800rpm until the turbo comes in so you have to use quite a few revs to set off uphill with a loaded trailer but it doesn't misfire and mess about like most petrol engines when the weather is damp etc, all in all a better drive for towing and between 28 to 33 mpg and certainly more reliable. I've got a 1 : 1.19 transfer box off a ZF 4speed auto fitted to an LT 77 main box, a little bit high geared for towing but it copes very well, the only reason for this is because the viscous coupling was seized on the original transfer box and I couldn't justify the cost of a replacement when I already had this transfer box spare. There's no fancy electronics on the 200 Tdi except that you don't have to pull a stop cable. I would have liked to fit the auto box but I can't find the bellhousing etc. to mate to the 200 Tdi engine. I love it and I also loved the V8 but couldn't afford to keep feeding it.

Reply to
Oily

With some tweaking of the pump, upsizing the intercooler and whatnot, you can get a full 35 -40% more power from the 200Tdi. Then it goes like a train, and wallops a V8.

Steve

Reply to
steve

I think that might kill it but I wouldn't mess with it anyway as it runs well, has done a lot of miles (265k) and on the last MOT the emissions on the last press of the accelerator were less than 1/2 a percent and it still goes like a train. ;-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

Ok Steve so what's it going to cost then, what would I get for the money :-)

Rich

Reply to
Rich