Torque setting anybody?

Range Rover power steering drop arm nut - early type 3-bolt box.

The references I can find are 120lbft but I'm getting fed up with it slackening off! Last time it was tweaked to 160lbft and I had to tighten it again today! Of course this may be the result of a cheap after-market drop-arm - has anybody else had problems?

Reply to
AJG

Yes, constantly on my 110, with a brand new genuine parts drop-arm! Even tried loctite after cleaning with solvents. Finally fitted a second nut as a locknut and did away with the tab washer. Torqued main nut to 160ish and locknut to 100ish lbf.ft. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I replaced the steering box on a 90 classic utilizing the original drop arm. I used a lock washer with no worries here.

Reply to
Jack Kerouac

These are famous for losening. Just make sure the tab washer is fitted "correctly" and things should be ok.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

In message , beamendsltd writes

Hmm ... recon steering box and new arm. New nut and tab washer. It doesn't appear to be the nut rotating but the arm 'relaxing' on the splines which allows it to move ...

Currently 140lbft ... we'll see what happens this time!

I think I'll go for the locknut (with a dab of locktite) if this doesn't work ... will get rid of that pesky tab washer.

Reply to
AJG

... worth checking that the 'shoulder' on the output shaft is below the contact surface for the nut on the drop arm. If proud it'll be impossible to get it tight. Assemble first with a washer with a hole that will allow the end of the spline to pass through and no tab washer. Tighten to seat the components. Remove nut and check as above. If OK replace washer with tab washer. If the spline pokes through you'll need to use a washer to prevent the nut bottoming.

I think that there was an issue along these lines, and may even have had it myself but the memory is hazy. Perhaps someone else will remember.

Other silly things to look out for are burrs etc. on the splines (both male and female) and the possibility of a wear step if the drop arm has been rattling around.

If the joint tightens properly the tab washer should be just a back-up measure. There are some drop arms which do not have a good flat for the bent over tab washer to seat on properly. Early tab washers were not really big enough to do the job properly.

Reply to
Dougal