Totally OT - Air France Customer Service

This has absolutely nothing to do with Land Rovers, but I wanted to have a rant, and publicise the fact that Air France are the most totally useless, idiotic organisation I've ever come across (and I used to be an NTL customer, so that's saying something).

I was flying back from Paris yesterday and my flight was delayed. Rather inconvenient for me and a load of other passengers. As it happened, the previous flight was delayed as well, and was actually boarding as we were all waiting in the lounge.

So a couple of us hit on the bright idea of trying to get on the previous flight, as we had hand-baggage only. Some people were about to miss a connection to Canada, so it was quite important to them.

We spoke to the gate staff, who confirmed yes, they had plenty, in fact an abundance, of spare seats on the flight. So could we get on the earlier flight, which at that moment was sitting on the target loading passengers? Well, no. Apparently, the plane wouldn't have had enough meals on board.

Well, of course, nobody cared about that, the meals are lousy anyway, we just wanted to get on the flight.

But Air France customer service started to rear its ugly head. It's apparently a company policy that, even if the flight is totally empty and delayed passengers are bouncing off the walls, you can't get on the damn plane if there aren't enough meals. They stated that to us explicitly.

We asked the gate staff to call somebody in authority to get this sorted out, as it was so patently ridiculous. But the gate staff stated point blank that there was nobody in Charles de Gaulle airport that they could call who would be able to override this decision. (So do they *have* no senior management then? Either that or they don't give a toss.)

So, eventually we gave up in the face of total adversity, and waited an hour or so for our delayed flight. All for the sake of a poxy meal we didn't want anyway.

So, can you imagine my total amazement when I didn't GET a meal on the flight? Apparently, according to the stewardess, they don't serve flights on that route any more and haven't since April! So a whole bunch of passengers had been delayed an hour, on the basis of a meal which didn't exist. This may seem petty to you, but imagine if you'd just missed a transatlantic flight to Canada on the basis of this - wouldn't you feel a little piqued?

Given the choice of a full airplane and happy customers, or a half empty airplane and delayed, annoyed and frustrated customers, Air France inexplicably prefer the latter.

What pains me is that I'd bet a lot of money that somebody in Charles de Gaulle airport is having the same conversation with the same gate staff right now, and exactly the same thing is going to happen. Will they ever change this stupid, totally pointless rule? I doubt it.

So I rang Air France to complain. And was told they don't have ANY customer service agents who will talk to me on the phone. Instead, I'd have to write to them - yes, because I'm now an unhappy customer due to some ridiculous internal bureaucracy problem at Air France, I have to spend MY time putting it all in writing, getting the address, posting it to them etc. Now, why should I spend my time trying to help Air France sort out THEIR problem which has left me and a load of other passengers dissatisfied? Shouldn't it be up to THEM to take the problem on board and deal with it?

Anyway, the result is that I'll give Air France a wide berth in future, because quite frankly they are the most ridiculous, un-customer-orientated organisation I've ever had the misfortune to deal with. Hey, with NTL it's down to incompetence, but with Air France it seems to be a corporate policy.

So my advice: before you travel Air France, consider the above and whether you would be better off using BA instead.

Disgruntled of Bagshot

Reply to
David French

BA flights CAN be operated by AF. And Air France is a LOUSY company. Last time I flew to Houston, on a brand new 777, it was what they call a 'DISTANT BOARDING', which means that they had three buses doing roundtrips to fill a HUGE plane stationed 2 miles away. As a result, there was 1 hour delay. And you have to be there at least 3 hours before Take Off. For a 11 hours long flight. God knows I'm patient, but... Anyway. Now, whenever I have the choice, I fly with Ryanair. The plane is ALWAYS on time, you don't have to pay thousands on parking like in big airports... I don't care about driving an hour more to get to the airport, so to me it's the best way to fly.

Oh, and don't wait on a French company to be customer oriented. And I know what I'm talking about. I'm French...

-- Henry!

"David French" a écrit dans le message de news: 40c99df5$0$4590$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk...

Reply to
Henry!

Oh. I only flew Ryanair once and it wasn't great. The plane was on time, but there were only 2 seats free. I started off in the one next to the woman with screaming child. She was quite pleasant to me but kept breaking off the conversation to shout "Just shut the f*ck up, Stacey, or I'll really belt you!" at the child, which didn't really stop the screaming.

So I then moved and sat next to the great fat bloke with a truly dreadful BO problem. Nice. Fortunately it was only a short flight, as I think I'd have honked after much more.

I was pleased to see an in-flight magazine, but it was actually the Argos catalogue with a Ryanair cover on as far as I could tell.

BA used to be fairly s**te, but to be fair, I've found them quite good recently. SAS are great but they don't fly from Heathrow to Paris, funnily enough.

David

Reply to
David French

In message , David French writes

Taken from their website!!

--------

Quality of Service: delays or cancellations

If you have been affected by a flight irregularity and have incurred costs, it is advisable to claim these costs from your travel insurance. Air France, in common with all airlines, will set a flight schedule; however external influences, such as weather and Air Traffic Control may affect the performance of our flight schedule. If you require confirmation of a flight delay or cancellation from Air France, please send the following information to our Customer Relations Department:

  1. Original / scheduled flight number and date
  2. Alternative flight number and date you were obliged to take another flight
  3. Names of all the relevant passengers

Our address is:

Air France Customer Relations Department PO BOX 34 435 London W6 7XE

Fax: 020 8584 4461 Other Issues: Feel free to contact us by post at the above address.

Reply to
Graham Jones

Just an observation here ! Don't shoot me down in flames please :-))

Wonder if the crew had a problem readjusting their flight plan / fuel loading / take off distance ??

.uk...

Reply to
Hirsty's

Maybe, maybe not, but according to the moron on the gate, the whole thing was down to them not having the bloody meal on board. They used to do it, he said, but they changed the rules.

Gnash.

Reply to
David French

In news:40c99df5$0$4590$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, David French blithered:

It seems Air France, in common with a lot of other Flag airlines and as you suggested some telecomms providers are suffering from Ostrich Syndrome. They prefer to stick their collective heads up their Anal Orifices and await the day when they finally go Mammaries Skywards. Since a feature of that process is what you have just described maybe that won't be too long coming!

Reply to
GbH

must agree with graham jones, many things affect the take off time of a flight most of which are beyond the responsibility of the gate staff, I have seen delays on many an occasion, but there is a good reason,usually for a safety concern however if the flight went unsafe the results can and are sometimes fatal, please be patient with the staff they will try to do their best to sort your problem, its always best to be late than never to arrive at all J.Flynn (aircraft tech)

Reply to
john flynn

Ah, but there's the problem. If it were a safety issue, everybody would have been perfectly happy. But they specifically said, they would have taken us on the half-empty earlier flight, apart from the meal not being on board. Surely even Air France would have realised that it would be a daft idea to take a perfectly reasonable safety issue and blame it on in-flight catering.

And what particularly annoyed one of the Canadians was that the staff were

*not* trying to do their best at all. They basically couldn't give a toss. I fly all the time and nearly every airline is practical and reasonable. It's only this one which isn't. Believe it or not, I'm a perfectly reasonable person, but I find it hard to remain unstirred at such staggering idiocy.

I understand your angle, John, but in this case I'm very sure indeed that it was nothing to do with safety, and everything to do with a stupid, Dilbertesque bureaucratic company whose staff don't give a monkeys. :)

David

Reply to
David French

In news:40c9cc0b$0$4576$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk, David French blithered:

It is reassuring though to realise some people are still prepared to raise it to a fine art!

Reply to
GbH