Towing

Does anybody have any experiance of towing a landy with another landy using a yoke type thing as seen used by the AA?

Is this legal way to tow a non road legal vehicle?

Any comments apreciated.

Reply to
Rog

Pretty sure that's a no.

If it has the wheels on the ground it has to be a road-legal vehicle, except for 'emergency recovery'. For a non legal vehicle you need it on the back of a truck.

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

Opinion varies greatly on this. If the "yoke" has some method to activate the brakes (on all 4 wheels) on the landrover, then the landrover becomes a trailer. Obviously for this the thing needs working brakes, legal tread on all the tyres, working lights, no sharp bits of metal sticking out, etc etc.

It's still easier and considerably better for you if plod decide to stop you if you just stick the thing on a trailer. My local trailer place will rent an Ifor Williams that a Landy will fit on for about 35+vat per day, which is money well spent IMO.

-- Paul Everett repton at repton dot org

Paul Everett

Always remembering, of course, that you should ensure that the total weight of the whole ensemble remains within the legal limit. 3500kg?

ISTR that a Rangie towing another Rangie (for example) is pretty dubious when you add in the weight of the trailer?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

MTPLM (or whatever tey call GVW these days) of a classic RR is 3050kg, IIRC. So you've 450kg to cover the weight of the trailer.

Reply to
QrizB

In message , Tim Hobbs writes

If you are referring to the tacho regs that only applies if the towing is being done for commercial gain or reward.

Reply to
hugh

On or around Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:39:44 +0100, Tim Hobbs enlightened us thusly:

had the 110 on the big trailer behind the disco the other day. estimated gross trailer weight about 3.2 tonnes.

3.5T is the limit for over-run braking. Using linked brakes, you can go to whatever the vehicle manufacturer says, in LR's case, this used to be 4 tons, but I think they may have re-valued 'em all at 3.5T now.

Disco hauled the rig OK, though I took it very steadily, didn't go over about 35; I wasn't in a hurry. At those speeds, it didn't have any stability problems, though of course with a vehicle on the trailer you can at least balance it and get the noseweight right.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:19:46 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@dev.nul (QrizB) enlightened us thusly:

yebbut, the RR Kerb weight 1723Kg (with 5 gallons of fuel) GVW 2504 trailer 4000 (with power braking) emergency tow 6000 (max speed 18 mph

about the later ones, we get:

Kerb weight 1927 (4-door, 2-door: 1895) GVW not listed braked trailer 2000 (over-run) braked trailer 4000 (power braking)

Disco: Kerb weight 1979 (3-door petrol carb) 2089 (3-d P efi) 2128 (5-d P efi) 2008 (3-d 200TDi) 2053 (5-d 200TDi 2040 (3-d 300TDi) 2065 (5-d 300TDi) GVW 2720 (all models) trailer 3500 (over-run brakes)

so there y'go. wonder why they only rate the RR at 2T now for over-run braked trailer?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks Guys,

Ill stick with a trailer then.

Roger

Reply to
Rog

Claim asylum, you'll be fine!!

Reply to
Mr Cynical

In message , Mr Cynical writes

Only if you do so at the start of your journey!!

Reply to
hugh

35+vat per

total

3500kg?

towing

That is correct but he may have been referring to separate licence regulations for those under a certain age or who gained a driving licence after a certain date, who have to pass a separate towing test to qualify to drive a combination plated above 3500kgs maximum allowable mass, whether they actually exceed the weight or not.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

I may have been! I vaguely recalled some limit of 3500kg for towing.

It's good to be getting on a bit...

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs