Towing with Trailer & D1 Disco

Hi All

Need to transport Disco mk1 with car trailer & will a Mk1 Disco 25tdi do the job

Regards Skinty

Reply to
Skinty

On or around Wed, 23 Apr 2008 19:16:35 +0100, "Skinty" enlightened us thusly:

I've done it. Make sure the tow vehicle and trailer have well-pumped tyres, and take it steadily.

The standard disco is a bit soft for heavy towing, I found. Mind, that was with my monster trailerº, which was attached by a Nato hitch on an adapter on the DB-style adjustable coupling mount, the hitch ends up at bumper height, which is a bit high up on a Disco.

º You still got that, Badger? Every now and then, when I need to shift summat big, I regret selling it...
Reply to
Austin Shackles

Yep, still have it matey. Still haven't got round to painting it either! lol Badger.

Reply to
Badger

No, but a 200TDi ought to be adequate IMHO BIANAE

Reply to
GbH

On or around Wed, 23 Apr 2008 21:08:05 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

Heh. Mind, that Nato olive drab paint will likely last forever anyway.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Should be OK, fsvo "OK". I've towed that weight and more with my 200 and 300tdi Range Rovers many times. You'll notice the hills, even motorway gradients that you normally don't even recognise.

Make sure the Disco on the trailer is far enough forward to give a reasonable weight on the hitch, or it will snake. Check that the trailer is rated for the load, and has suitably load-rated tyres.

I assume the OP passed his test before 1 Jan 97, or is one of those rare folk who've taken the trailer test.

Reply to
Kevin Poole

AND THAT THEY are correctly inflated. A soft one put us in the ditch!

Reply to
GbH

On or around Fri, 25 Apr 2008 15:56:58 +0100, Kevin Poole enlightened us thusly:

You want about 50Kg noseweight at normal towing height - it's a bit hard to judge with a twin-wheel trailer as lifting it any amount makes it a LOT heavier. If you want to be precise, a jack under the towbar and bathroom scales will tell you. Personally, if I can lift the trailer bar to normal hitch height with a fair amount of effort, it's about right.

One thing you must avoid is negative nose-weight. My experience of towing the big trailer loaded with hay was that too much nose-weight is as bad as too little, from the stability point of view. Mind, towing that behind the one disco with another on the back I totally failed to get it stable at more than 40... mind, the towing disco had standard suspension and soft dampers.

heh. that was the "full B+E" comment...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Agreed: and slightly more rather than slightly less. One day I'll design a trailer with a railway-style bogie, to make wheel load less sensitive to attitude. I'll stick to rubber-tyred wheels, though.

Damned threaded newsreaders. Hadn't got that far down the page :-)

Has _anyone_ taken a trailer test yet?

Reply to
Kevin Poole