Trailer Wiring on '03 Disco in U.S.

My LR dealer seems to be unable to properly wire the trailer plug receptacle on our '03 Discovery HSE. The trailer requires a Backup Light signal to activate a solenoid that disables its surge brakes. =20

The dealer has tried twice now but the wiring is still not correct so = I'll be discussing this with him tomorrow. As wired, the backup signal is = given only when the LR's lights are on, i.e. Lights off, engine running, = reverse gear selected, NO signal.

The other plug signals are correct including the 12 Volt Power and Rear = Fog Light signals but the Backup Light signal is an ongoing problem. Why is this such a big deal???

Thanks,

LB

Reply to
<lorendi

On or around Sun, 25 Jul 2004 14:50:07 -0500, enlightened us thusly:

dunno what type of lighting wiring it has, meself. If it's the normal kind with a wire going to each lamp, then it shouldn't be hard to isolate the one for what we call the reversing lamp. Still shouldn't, in fact, if it's a cunning bus system with switches (relays) at the remote ends (as I believe some vehicles are now using instead of running a forest of wires all over the place - dunno if they've done such on the disco) - at some point, there has to be a 12V supply to the back-up lamp bulb, and I imagine that's the one you want for your brake disabler.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Thanks for your reply. After checking further I've actually found 2 = errors in the trailer wiring: (1) the Fog Light and Backup Light signals are switched in the LR's = trailer socket (2) the signal that would indicate the Fog Light on is present whenever = the headlights are on.

I can switch the signals to compensate and since I am not presently using the Fog Light signal, that's not a problem. (Though I was thinking about using the Fog Light signal for flood lights at the rear of the trailer. This would be handy for boat retrieval.)=20

Thanks again,

LB

Reply to
<lorendi