Turbo Intercooler

I'm thinking of fitting an Allisport Turbo Intercooler to my Defender

110 CSW (with a 19J engine).

I tow a large trailer and a caravan (but not at the same time!) Compared to my 200 Tdi Disco, the Defender struggles a bit, so I'll probably go for the larger one that they offer.

They say it can be DIY, or if in the area "Free Fitting". Has anybody fitted one, are there any known issues? Does it give the increase in BHP that they claim? (pushes it up to over 100BHP). Are there any other problems that it may cause (my engine has done 128k miles)

Any comments from the learned readers of this newsgroup?

Cheers

Peter

Reply to
puffernutter

I had the same idea a couple of years ago,I have the same engine and tow a heavy speedboat in the summer with my 90. The 19j engine is a notorious high revving and heavy breathing engine and prone to all sorts of engine failure. It can just about cope with the extra power from the turbo.The fitting of an intercooler plus tweaking the fuel pump would be too much strain on this engine. This was advised to me from someone at Allisport who is a regular on here.

Reply to
bones

Remember you have to put in more fuel as well as more air, so the fuel pump needs adjusting. Probably better to leave well alone in view of 'Bones' comments.

Reply to
Peter

On or around 21 Nov 2005 03:52:00 -0800, "puffernutter" enlightened us thusly:

I assume we're talking about the old turbo-diesel engine, and if so, while adding an interecooler (or a bigger one) is an excellent plan I'd be wary of trying to up the power or boost too much on that engine.

By intercooling, you lower the charge temperature, which is good. Having done that, you get the chance to up the boost a bit, and up the fuelling accordingly, and get more power. The main problems you get with doing that without the intercooler are down to overheating and the risk of melting or burning pistons and so forth.

Basically, with that engine, and at a high mileage, I'd take it a bit at a time and keep a keen eye on the operating temperature.

Same applies to any engine, in fact - if you increase the power over the manufacturer's settings, you risk losing reliability/longevity.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I am amazed that the engine has lasted that long without a rebuild. For all we know it might have had a rebuild or three come to think of it. Anyhow, it is a dog as engines go and not worth spending a penny on either to repair or certainly not to up the power.

Huw

Reply to
Huw