Turbo noise

For the last 4 days on starting my 200tdi defender the turbo sound has changed, it now sounds like an electric motor whine rather than the usual woosh sound, the new sound gets far weaker and barely noticable once the engine has warmed up and still boosts to around 14psi. I took the inlet hose off the turbo to have a look and there is a bit of upwards and downwards play in the bearings and the light oil around the housing seems to have been disturbed at the bottom making me think the blades have dropped and could be brushing the ali case, is this a likely scenario?

If my turbo is indeed knackered does anyone have a good condition one for sale or know of a cheapish reconditioner in the UK?

Thanks, Fergus

Reply to
Fergus Kendall

Can't recommend these guys enough....

Collected turbo by courier same day....(be ready to pack it quickly)

next day you get a telephone diagnosis of your turbo which is then in bits, At this point you can choose to abort/ignore/cancel ;-)

prompt return once repaired.

1 happy customer.

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Fergus Hi,

the more you keep your turbo in this condition the worst the damage will be be and the higher the repair bill will amount to. You may end up even damaging the engine.

Repair it as soon as possible.

As for Turbotechnics they are amongst the best. Even here in Greece several people send their turbos to them to be repaired.

But this may be the opportunity to fit an upgraded hybrid turbo instead of your standard specifications one. This is one of the best power upgrades you can do to a turbocharged engine, apart from fitting a larger intercooler. Highly recommended.

Take care Pantelis

Reply to
Pantelis Giamarellos

Have you checked whether your starter motor actually cuts off after the engine has started? Beware of fire hazard!

Huw

Reply to
Huw