turbo noises

Recently the turbo on my 96 disco has started making a kind of sucking, whining noise when the engine revvs reach 2000 and above - almost sounds like theres a vacuum cleaner under my bonnet speeding up!

I havn't noticed any loss of power and its not terribly noisy, but certainly noticeable. It seems to have started happening around the time I changed the air filter (which was pretty dirty) - could it just be the engine is breathing better?

I only ask after having read Gary Jones' catastrophic problems a blown up turbo had on the rest of his engine! I don't really want mine to go the same way.

Also, I have noticed there is a bit of white smoke coming out of the exhaust when I start the engine. I would expect some black smoke, but I don't know what white smoke signals, if anything.

Any info would be great!

Reply to
Richard Wilkinson

On or around Wed, 31 May 2006 20:42:51 +0100, "Richard Wilkinson" enlightened us thusly:

get everything checked over, I would.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I love the sound of a turbo diesel ( I have to the miles I put in)- changes after a new air filter I would be looking at the pipes for splits around the filter box and checking the filter seated correctly and the clips didn't pop open if its a sucking sort of noise not a bad idea to get a partner to hold the throttle open while you have a listen under the bonnet to work out whereabouts the noise originates as splits often hide from view till provoked. Derek

Reply to
Derek

I'm fairly sure that white smoke from a diesel is unburnt fuel (or oil...).

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Had a similar noise to OP which turned out to be a split in the right angle hose between turbo and inlet manifold, at the bottom of the turbo. Hard to spot from above, needed a mirror to see it and only then when turbo in boost. Small split - big noise - bad thoughts about lots of dollars , but

15min to pull out and replace and problem solvered.

Cheers Ron

Reply to
Ron Glasson

Yikes,

Okay white smoke could be turbo bearings on the way out. Another scarey thought is head gasket. Has it overheated at all? If it has then I am certain you are looking at an ill turbo.

You need to get the turbo tested.

If I am honest I think your turbo is ill.

Yours

Andy

Reply to
Andrew Renshaw

Smell the smoke - both unburnt fuel(usually associated with white smoke) and oil (more usually associated with blue smoke) have distinctive smells. It's not just water vapour (innocent or otherwise)is it?.

Reply to
Dougal

Like already said, get everything checked out asap, mine did not make any unusual noises at all before meltdown. Still dont know for sure what went first, the head gasket, or the turbo followed close by by various engine parts, whatever it was it all took less tha 15 seconds or so. If all else fails carry a can of petrol in the back, a box of matches and if it goes like mine, use the petrol and the matches then runaway. When back home call the insurance and tell them it was nicked. :o) If only. Cheers Gary

Reply to
Gary G Jones

In article , Andrew Renshaw writes

Marge (110TD) always clears her through after starting with a good white fogbank, but after she's warmed up there's almost nothing, even under heavy load. I think it's the Defender equivalent of smoker's cough...

... but I put it down to the tolerances being off until the turbo has warmed through thoroughly. Hope I'm right :-o

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig