Turbo Timers

Hi All,

I have a series II Disco TD5 and i was just wondering if i can buy a turbo timer for it

thanks

Reply to
al

Why would you want to do that ???

Reply to
mm

so that when i have finished long drive and i turn the car off the car will when running to cool it down

Reply to
al

On or around Thu, 29 Jan 2004 03:01:09 GMT, "al" enlightened us thusly:

why not just idle it for a minute or two, before turning off?

but really, it's not supposed to be necessary on modern engines, so long as you don't rev the nuts off it and then turn it off.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A turbo timer is a great way to protect your turbo from damage.

Sure you can idle the engine before you turn it off (As I do).

But every now and then you forget or the wife or kids may be driving and they never remember.

Turbo temperatures are very very high and do need to be cooled down.

Reply to
Simon Mills

Hi,

Those timers are quite popular in this part of the world (Zimbabwe and South Africa). It's interesting seeing the driver lock the vehicle and walk away leaving it running!

Having said that, most of the vehicles that have them are bakkies (pickups) such as Mazda's and Isuzu's, and the occasional Pajero. I haven't heard of a Tdi with one.

My own feeling is that with a bit of intelligence, you don't need one. The only time I bother to let the turbo cool down is when I stop on the open road such as at a filling station (don't do this often here in Zimbabwe - that last place you can get fuel is at a filling station!), where you go from 120kph to stop in a few seconds.

Otherwise, if you're driving around town, the last few km to your door are likely to be slow, and this will give the turbo a chance to cool down.

One other thought - turbos cool via their oil feed. Another good reason to regularly change the oil on a Tdi.

Having monitored this newsgroup for about a year now, there are very few threads about turbo failure on the TDi's, which probably make up the majority of turbo'd Land Rovers. Maybe LR got it right with the turbo design?

Cheers! Graham Carter Harare Zimbabwe

Reply to
Graham Carter

Hi,

dose anyone know where i can buy a turbo timer for the td5 disco

thanks

Reply to
al