Twin batteries in a 90?

Hi chaps

My existing battery is on it's way out just now, so I thought it might be a good time to think about installing 2 batteries in the seat box if it can be done securely. My intended usage is for one to be the normal starter battery, and the second - wired through a voltage sensing relay for charging - to be used for the occasional use of a small winch for boat trailer use, and for camping power, lighting and other recreational uses. I already have a second leisure battery in the vehicle and wired in, but it lives in the rear of the vehicle and takes up precious space.

I think the battery and clamp existing in my late 90's 300tdi Defender

90 is not the proper arrangement - at least it's nothing like my first 90, a late '84 model.

I'd really appreciate tips from anyone who has done a twin battery installation under the passenger seat. What is most important, is that it should ideally involve minimal, or preferably no modifications to the seat box or any other bodywork.

What have others here done?

Cheers

Neil

Neil

I know several people who have done this, and they do fit. See

for an example.

Paul

Reply to
Paul Everett

that works with the land rover batteries too one thing to watch is that once the metal cover is on the seat box, any weight on it will make it touch the perminals of the batteries.

1, be sure the terminals have plastic covers. 2, be sure the underside of the lid has a rubber thingy (as original).

I'm soon fitting a second battery to my 110csw but as the huge battery I have currently fills the under-seat space I'm putting the second elsewhere.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

and this makes some very impressive fireworks!.

Reply to
Tom Woods

That's why in that example the battery terminals have covers on them.

Reply to
Paul Everett

Thanks to all who replied.

Having looked at the twin Optima set-up, I don't really want to go to the expense of Optimas. Neither do I want maintenance free batteries, as I like to be able to check and top up electrolyte regularly. Hence the clamp across the top of the batteries as in the pictures would make this awkward.

Additionally, I have doubts that this could even be carried out in this manner with a 300tdi model, as the seat box, battery compartment has 2 steps in it which I believe earlier models did not. This severely limits the space available on the level part of the base of the seat box.

So has anyone with a 300tdi 90 actually installed twin batteries?

Cheers,

Neil

Neil

Neil,

As i understand it, the Optima's are sealed so you dont need to "maintain" them. The big advantage with the Optima's is that they are small and so easier to install. You can get 3 of them into a defender battery box (wallet allowing!)

Also, you will probably need to put a false floor in the battery box to get a level install base. If necessery though the sealed batteries can be installed upside down of on their side with no adverse effects).

I am in the process of installing a sealed Odyssey battery as a second battery into my 1992 200tdi. That wiill be either a PC1700 or PC2100 running alongside my starter battery.

Note that it seems to be a mis-conception that the two batteries (starter and auxillry) must be the same - this is only the case if you are not using a proper split charge system.

hope this helps. Jon

Reply to
Jon