Two problems with S2 Discovery in the country

I took the series 2 Discovery for an Easter trip of about 2700 Km. Approx half was on unsealed roads. The weather was hot and dry and the roads were very dusty. The dust has caused most of the door locks to become stiff and the rear door lock to sieze up. I would like to avoid this happening in the future if possible. Any ideas.

The other problem is wheels and tyres. I have standard alloy wheels which, until now, did not know of their unusual design. The two ridges inside the rim which the beads of the tyre have to jump, do cause problems when only limited tyre fitting equipment is available. I was 700Km from the nearest city and 450Km from the nearest big town. The alloys will have to go and I will find another five steel wheels to match the standard steel spare wheel ( I need two spares).

The problem with tyres is I had two blow-outs. As I was travelling on rough surfaces, it was just about impossible to feel the deflated tyre until it was too late. Both tyres were shredded. I have heard of some device that monitors tyre pressures and warns of low tyre pressure before it's too late. Has anyone else heard of or know of these devices?

Other than those two key problems the TD5 run faultlessly for the entire journey with the air conditioner on the whole time.

Steve W.

Reply to
QD Steve