Tyre Noise

Am going to treat my 1998 Hardtop 90 tdi to some new tyres and am thinking of BF Goodrich Mud Terrains or Cooper STT ones

Is road noise an issue - my local Tyre Center have suggested that this would be more than for my present A/T's

I appreciate there will be some increase but wonder whether it is really a problem I do about 8000 miles a year with a lot of off road use during the shooting season

Reply to
Julian Pollard

In a 90 Hardtop noise is the last thing i would worry about, they are deafening anyway :)

Reply to
Nige

Pardon?

eh?

;0)

Question is... how stuck have you got with the AT's.

Now if you said you just want them I could understand that :0)

Lee D

Reply to
Lee_D

Half past three.

Reply to
hugh

I understand Lee's remarks

I got stuck three times last season and had to be pulled out by a Navarra wearing BF Goodrich muds

I like the look of them

I once had some Firestone Sats which were superb in mud but like driveing on cobbles when on the road and this is the reason for my enquiry>

Reply to
Julian Pollard

They will be somewhat quieter and much better riding than SATs.

Reply to
EMB

In message , Julian Pollard writes

I've had both BFG MTs and ATs on a rag top 90 and a CSW Yes the MTs are noticeably more noisy. They are also worse on road in the wet. However they are vastly superior off-road and if that is your major usage then go for them.

Reply to
hugh

If you want a decent off-road tyre with reasonable road manners, I've been impressed with the Insa Turbo Dakar's that came on my 110. Looking at the tread on them I was expecting pretty dicey road manners but they've been fine, even roundabouts in the rain are no problem and they're not too noisy either. Save you a few pennies over BFG as well.

AC.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland

Can you still get Goodrich LT tyres?

I tried to get a set the last time I changed mine but couldn't find any in the UK.

Reply to
William Black

LT is a generic designation 'light truck' from the USA - it's not a manufacturer code. But lots of BFG tyres currently available are LT designated.

The Goodrich UK website is useless. Go to the USA site, find what you want then find out if it's available in the UK.

As an example, go to
use the Specs. tab at the bottom of the page for a full list of sizes etc..

The BFG All-Terrain, Mud-Terrain etc. in 'normal' LandRover sizes are all designated as LT.

Reply to
Dougal

Ah, it was the tyres I've heard called 'Long Trail' which was a road biased tyre.

Reply to
William Black

Very much so:

Dougal

And not, as far as I can see, available in the UK...

Reply to
William Black

You might want to try 'Pneus Online'

- I was able to get 265/75R16 Kumho Road Ventures from them (shipped from Holland) at a good price. The Road Venture isn't brought into the UK in 265/75R16 but being based in (I think) Switzerland they were able to source them - might be the same for the BFG LT. The Road Venture btw is a decent 95% on-road tyre - we've just done a 2,000km round trip in the 110 to the Dolomites and back and they were very pleasant on the mway, but I wouldn't expect them to be much cop off-road, particularly in mud. AC.

Reply to
Andrew Cleland

I don't go on mud unless it's muddy where I want to go.

I do spend a fair amount of time going across wet grass.

Reply to
William Black

Which is the worst of all surfaces IMO and one where MTs are vastly superior.

Reply to
hugh

The 235/70R16 Long Trail is listed on BFG's UK pages:

for your preferred size. I've got to agree with Hugh - wet grass is a horrible surface and road tyres are not the answer!

Reply to
Dougal

Well so far I'm on some dead cheap US road tyres called 'Apache' or something like that.

They work ok, I haven't been stuck yet with half a tonne of gear in the back and a complicated canting slope covered in wet grass to get up.

It's why I bought a Defender in the first place. The bloody thing will get you home almost all the time (except the fuel pump is dying and it needs bleeding every other day...)

As I've explained before, my defender is my car. It just needs to get me home from soggy places now and again, but most of the time a Berlingo van would do as well.

Reply to
William Black