Tyre question.

Hé,

I'm looking for some advice about a tyre :

Firestone SAT 6.5 x 16

I could not find any information on the web about them. Do they still make them or not ?

6.5, is that about the same width as a 205/... ? Can they be put on a Range Rover Classic or are they a bit to narrow ?

Regards, Lieven.

Reply to
Lieven Gillis

On or around Mon, 31 Jan 2005 22:10:15 +0100, "Lieven Gillis" enlightened us thusly:

well, you *can*... I wouldn't meself. I spose it might make sense for playing in serious mud. Road manners would be horrible.

If I wanted standard-diameter mud tyres for a RR I'd be looking at 235/70R16 and some form of MT pattern, in radials.

not sure if SATs are still made, come to that.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

You must be bloody desperate to want to put rubbish like that under a Range Rover?

Huw

Reply to
Huw

They are... but there a crossply aren't they? In which case bound to be tecnicaly illigal as I'm sure they will have alower speed rating than a classic rangerover needs. I'd definatly recomend a 205R16 or 235/70R16 in a MT or perhaps one of the more agressive ATs. Done quite a bit of looking at tyres my self recently! Toby

Reply to
TVS

No they stopped making them a while back, the 7.50x16 version used to be a favourite with the trials brigade, especially the leaf sprung ones. Firestone started making 1 batch a year that were immediately snatched up and their rarity led to people looking elsewhere - hence the mud pluggers and their like started to take over where the good old SAT left off,

I wouldn't put them on a Range Rover, they are cross plys rather than radial and AFAIK cross plys have never worked well on Range Rovers. You would be OK with them for a pure off road toy but don't try and use them on the road, especially when it's wet !

I've never tried cross plys myself on a RR as they were scary enough on my 88inch hybrid, if you do try them out and survive feel free to tell us your experiences afterwards. I wouldn't advise cornering hard or any kind of quick stop with them fitted.

cheers

Dave W.

Dave White

I've never had the misfortune to drive anything with cross ply tyres, are they really that bad?

What is it that makes them so bad, is it the compound used or just a feature of their construction?

Reply to
Simon Barr

Not if they are used correctly - on the correct vehicle.

It's a feature of their construction - they flex differently (less) that Radial tyres and only work properly on vehicles designed with X-ply tyres in mind. Put them on a vehicle designed for radials and you're asking for trouble. Putting radials on a vehicle designed for X-plies seems to work OK most of the time.

Reply to
Simon Atkinson

Got cross plies on my 110 grips like a greased lemming on wet roads, grips like velcro in the mud. these are deestone

only lasted a year mind.

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

Just been googling and found this which explains the differences

There is also a little video that shows the tyre flex.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Hé,

Somebody offert me these tyres for a small price. It looked interesting, but hten again ...

Thank you all for your advice and remarks. It has been very usefull.

Lieven.

"Lieven Gillis" schreef in bericht news:41fe9edf$0$24420$ snipped-for-privacy@news.be.uu.net...

Reply to
Lieven Gillis