Tyre sizes equivalent to 750-16 ?

Hi Can anyone tell me what is the most equivalent modern size to the standard 750-16 I have on my 110. I need to replace them soon and want some MTs and need to know what size will fit without any clearance issues etc. It is on standard 110 steel wheels.

Also does anyone know what the speed rating should be (1986 110 V8 CSW), I understand you should fit whatever the factory fitted tyres had (hard to know on a 20 year old 110)

Thanks alot!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Don't forget that for metric size tyres you will need wider rims (6.5 as opposed to the 5.5 which you probably have). I sourced some Avon Rangemasters recently via eBay from a company in Germany - Distribution

7 email: snipped-for-privacy@distribution7.de

Good value, and OE tyres so indisbutably legal.

Stuart

Reply to
Srtgray

Is that true! oh dear, I don't want to get into buying new wheels. so maybe my question is what CHEAP road legal mud tyres can I get to fit my standard 110 steel wheels.

I don't do many road miles, so don't mind fairly aggressive ones.

I have rangemasters on now, hopeless on wet grass & mud I have here.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

Yours would have had Avon Rangemasters fitten when new - still available and still made in the UK (a monior miracle).

I've just gained a set of Khumo 245/75R16's for the 90 (the

110 is currently on Michllin OR's, but the Ramgemesters are going back on!) - a little taller than 750's, but not over wide. Although they are Road Vanguard MT's, they have a promising looking open-block tread, with narrower blocks at the middle of the tyre for road handling and wider blocks at the outside and on the sholders for off-road and in snow. They *look* like they should do the buiness, but I wouldn't want them on for every-day use on the 110. Richard
Reply to
beamendsltd

Bronco in Leek should be able to sort you out with something.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Why not just stick to 750's ?, that way you won't have to change your wheels or have clearance issues. I found they weren't as scarse as some think when I needed a set for my 109, just phoned around a few quick fit types and was offered a set of Goodyear Wranglers (admittedly AT not MT) with only a day's wait. Greg

Reply to
Greg

Thanks to all the replies, Its a good idea to start off looking for

750's, I thought they were getting rarer, but I have not tried yet.

It did come with rangemasters factory fitted, they were still fitted when I bought it. The original tyres, after 20 years and only 30k miles. But they were a bit iffy, cracked and not so much tread so I replaced them with the rangemasters I had from my old 2a.

I really need some good mud tyres, I rarely go on road, as I work at home, and when I use the 110 it is for shifting stuff locally, often on wet muddy fields, here the rangemasters fail, especially if I've a ton of wood in the trailer.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

They are by no means rare. Even over here your standard 2005-2006 my Defs were still fitted with 7.50.

It might also be a plan to scout around for second hand ones. A good many people upgrade to bigger tyres when theirs run out, leaving them stuck with an unused 7.5 spare tyre that is useless because they've bought 900 Simexes.

Peter R.

Reply to
Peter R.

Have you considered the military's favourite, the Michelin O/R 4x4 (XZL) in

7.50x16? They're actually surprisingly good for what you require, their downfall is rapid wear at speed on dry tarmac. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

On or around 22 Jan 2007 06:41:49 -0800, "Andrew T." enlightened us thusly:

Rangemasters are OK - 7.50R16 tyres, but not really a mud tyre. I think you can still get General SAG in 7.50, which are. The "old school" mud tyre was the firestone SAT which is now defunct. However, none of these qualify as "cheap".

however...

You jurisdiction may vary, but I've had 235/85R16 on standard LWB (5.5") rims with no trouble as have countless others. I've also seen standard 7" disco rims with 205R16 on, and the tyres look way to narrow. So I'd take the reccomendations with a pinch of salt.

If you want cheap mud tyres then go with Colway or Kingpin or suchlike MT remoulds, in 235/85R16.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around 22 Jan 2007 09:12:38 -0800, "Andrew T." enlightened us thusly:

if you want serious off-road ones, have a look at Greenway Anaconda and the like. Not sure how they behave on-road, mind.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

In message , Austin Shackles writes

I love mine. Today I was mostly dragging izuzu trooper towing 2 ton generator up a muddy track :) They are a bit dodgy on wet tarmac though. But, how fast do you want to go in a 110 anyway? Faster than a 109? I think anacondas are 'k' rated which I understand is 68mph top end. You don't want to drive that quick in them really........... oh and they are better after some wearing in.

Reply to
mark

I've got them on the pinz, they improved the steering, it went from being stiff as a board to being light and easy but I think that says more about the Maloyas that were on the previously than it does about the anacondas...

So far I've not noticed them being particularly slippery on the road although I'm sure they probably are, I just don't drive that quickly. I've not noticed any slipping though so unless people put the truck on its mirrors when cornering they probably won't be too bad. Perhaps I'm a conservative driver though, I've never once slipped on tarmac in my Defender, even with the Technic Tracker mud patterns on. Perhaps reports of off-road tyres being lethal when cornering are exaggerated, or perhaps I'm just not a boy racer ;-)

When driving they probably make noise, but I've not found it noticeable, the pinz is quieter and more civilised than my Defender at speeds below 40MPH despite the anacondas, above 40MPH the transmission noise starts to get loud, but prior to that I don't notice tyre noise being that bad. Bear in mind that I'm sat directly inches above the tyres so I'd have thought that I'd hear the noise more readily. I don't tend to go above 50MPH. When I pull up to a stop, there is a bit of a thudding sound as the individual grip blocks hit the ground.

They are only speed rated to 70MPH though, an issue on a Defender but not on a pinz, which cleverly sidesteps the issue by maxing out at

60MPH ;-)

I reckon I'd go for anacondas on the landy if I still off-roaded it, although that speed limit issue might be a real problem for some. Someone in this group has them on a series landy IIRC, and was very impressed.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Heh, you're the chap I referred to in my other post on this subthread then ;-)

I'm quite pleased with them so far as well, despite not having had the opportunity to off-road them yet, on-road they've been OK. Anything's better than what was on the the pinz before.

I think on the Defender I'd probably get annoyed with them, a stock

300TDi can hit 80 quite easily, and mine can reach 90 with the intercooler upgrade. With the Technic Trackers on the landy at the moment I keep the speed down to less than 70 and it is irritating on motorway trips.
Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Shopping aroung will get General SAG's at a reasonable price, but go for the crossply - the radials are entirely different treads. Er, that might be the other way round! Yes, it must be, mine were radial. Nice tyre, but really didn't like tarmac in terms of wear. If you're looking for s/h then if you can find a set of Colway Super Mud Pluggas (SAT clones) - very good tyres off and on road, their only vice is a tendency to slip on side-slopes, though no worse than most non-diamond tyres. The current "standard" miltary Goodyear G8's are pretty dammed good too, though a tad slipply in the wet on tramac.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

The "old school" mud tyre was the firestone SAT which is now defunct.

But resurrected in radial form as the Super Mud Plugga. 7.50x16 available from Landybitz and probably others. They are however a remould, if that bothers you. They still more than hold their own in trialling.

Gordon running SATs and Mud Pluggas on Series 1s and 90s.

Reply to
gordon

Again, all the information is very useful, I looked around on the web last night, and as you say 750-16's are still fairly common, especially in the mud / at range. The colway and / or greenway look the likely ones to go for, depending on the speed rating. The avon rangemasters are N rated, so its not too difficult to find some the same or better.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

7.50-16 Goodyear Extra Grips at Dunsfold:
Dougal
7.50-16 Goodyear Extra Grips at Dunsfold:
Thanks Dougal, they look good, but a bit too much when you add VAT. Very interesting page though!

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.