Tyres for 300 tdi Disco

Has anyone got any suggestions for AT tyres? I'm not looking to spend BFG money.

Cheers in advance

Its got pirelli scorpions on at the moment and the front two need replacing, will I have to replace all four if I go for a different tread pattern?

Reply to
StaffBull

Andy Sargeant

On or around Wed, 3 Nov 2004 07:04:47 -0000, "Andy Sargeant" enlightened us thusly:

Presumably, because he says "I'm not looking to spend BFG money".

Personally, I found the Nankang Wide Conqueror to be a good tyre for the money. Doesn't last as long as the BFG, probably, but costs less.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Reply to
Andy Sargeant

On or around Wed, 3 Nov 2004 09:06:48 -0000, "Andy Sargeant" enlightened us thusly:

well, I found them to grip just as well as the AT-KO, and yes, I have tried the AT-KOs, they're currently on mother(not martyn)'s disco.

I've had various tyres including remoulds. the remoulds wear too quickly, Pirelli Scorpion AT were very grippy but also wear quickly, and have gotten more expensive AFAICS. The Nankangs came in at about 240 quid inc vat and fitting, ISTR from the local bloke, so not quite half price compared to your (fairly good) price for BFGs.

They were 31x10.5R15 BTW, so we'd need a price for the same size BFG for a proper comparison, and bearing in mind that if I were to buy tyres from you I'd have to pay (prolly about 10 quid each) for fitting and balancing.

But seriously, I also had Nankang road tyres (still have) on the 4x4 Sierra, which are more than adequate on what is a fairly fast motor - they've never caused me to doubt their grip.

The Nankangs on the 110, which was driven moderately hard although not heavily laden, did something a bit less than 20K miles by the time I sold it, and still had something like 3mm tread left on them, so they might do

25K I suppose.

FWIW, despite all the claims of mileage, I for one have never got as many miles from any tyres as people claim they do. Either I drive too much like a nutter (quite possible) or other people don't keep accurate records. The current Pirelli STs have something around 5K miles on 'em so far, on the disco (in about 2 months!) and grip very nicely on tarmac - they also perform surprisingly well on very wet muddy grass slopes.

Reply to
Austin Shackles