Tyres sizes... metric / imperial equilivents

Just thinking... I'm assuming that a size like 750x16 has a aspect ratio of 100%? So that's like a 195/100R16?

If its the same as a 195/100R16 then its very similarly sized to a 235/85R16 just quite a bit narrower which is good thing for steering lock and mud plugging!

I'm looking for a taller tyre than my 235/70R16 Colway ATs which is better off road, wears well on the road and is, preferably, narrower... that would be a 750 then?!

I suppose I really should run this thought the spell checker... grumble Thanks! Toby

Reply to
TVS

Any metric tyre that doesn't specify an aspect ratio *should* be 82%. This varies a bit and many manufacturers use 80% as their standard.

The stated metric width measurement doesn't bear any resemblance to anything you can measure on the tyre -eg. the 205/70R14's on my Hilux measure up at about 170mm tread width, and the 185R14's on my trailer at

150mm or so.

My 750x16 and 235/85R16 tyres differ in height by about 5mm and tread width by 8mm in favour of the metric tyres. I've also just measured the

700R16's on my truck and the tread width varies by 19mm between 2 different makes of tyre that are the same nominal size!

Going to a 235/85R16 should gain you about 35mm in height and depending on make could be up to 20mm narrower than what you have fitted. I wouldn't really go any narrower for mud-plugging as IME my 235's will take me further than the identical pattern 205R16's on my father's Landrover (before losing traction rather than ground clearance issues). That said the 31/10.5R15 tyres I used to have were significantly less capable in the mud - my thoughts are that anything wider than a 235 is a retrograde step in really muddy conditions.

Reply to
EMB

On or around Mon, 10 Jan 2005 23:16:34 -0000, "TVS" enlightened us thusly:

235/85R16 is the equivalent metric size which is now being supplied instead of the old 7.50x16. However, there is a strange beast called a 7.50R16 which is a radial tyre but the same size as a 7.50x16 crossply.

I'd go with 235/85R16 meself. What vehicle's it for?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Its a 2A SWB and I'm after a taller tyre for the gearing as I've got to comute to Uni for a year, about 20 miles a day will be on the M-way so need to be able to do 65mph. Also want a good off road tyre as the Colway ATs just too road biased. There excelent on the road but just aren't up to towing trailers in feilds, and I'd also like to do a bit of trialing with it.... Problem is, need they need to be cheap too. £50 each with VAT would be nice! I'm thinking of 235/85R16 Colway MTs. I've seen dimonds in action and have been very impresed but just seem to come in 205R16s and are expensive. Thanks for all the replies! Toby

Reply to
TVS

On or around Tue, 11 Jan 2005 19:37:10 -0000, "TVS" enlightened us thusly:

Colway MT will be OK on the road, but watch 'em in the wet until you establish how much grip there is. I'd not go wider than a 235/85 on a SWB unless you're after serious floation - in normal off-roading, more width than that will tend to be self-defeating on firm slippery sort of going. Seen some very good resuts from SWBs on 7.50R16 or 235/85R16 MT tyres off-road.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Good luck finding Colways! I was after some towards the end of last year and had no luck getting 235/85/16, no one had any. Following the advice of one of the many companies I spoke too (can't remember which) I went for some Greenway Chaco's. They come from the same factory as the Colways apparently.

They are a bit noisy on the road and hum a bit but have plenty of grip, I've had no loss of grip on the road at all. On the mud they are fantastic, tons of grip in the slippy stuff.

Only problem with them is that they're wider than the 750's I had on and they plaster the side of the 110 with mud, especially the door handles!

Reply to
Simon Barr

Please do not post binaries to non-binary news groups - it upsets people. JD

Reply to
JD

Er, who's that aimed at? I ask cos I never saw one, my news server doesn't do binary.

Reply to
Simon Barr

Jason Hall's post had attached a large binary - a rather blurry picture of a tyre and the side of a Landrover. JD

Reply to
JD

Aye it did, a slip of mouse im afraid. Kinda attached it without thinking, i know how annoying it is in newsgroups my appologies.

*feels suitably repremanded ;)*

Jason Hall

Reply to
Jason Hall