U.J. Gone ? '98 Disco

Over the last week my trusty steed a TD Auto started making a slow-speed clunk. Not a regular clunk or anything in particular just occasional slow speed.

It's now developed into a slow speed clunk-chink no noise at speed or under power and intermittent slow speed knock on the over-run.

It's in for inspection on Monday but if it is a propshaft UJ would it be OK to drive until Monday?

I have done many UJ's in my youth as a tractor fitter but the last one I dis was about... 20 years ago! If I decide to try it myself, would the hammer & socket/vice method of removal/refit still apply?

oh, it's done 165,000 UK miles. :¬)

Cheers Pete

Reply to
unknown

Heheheh, how long's a piece of string? :) Only you can determine how long it'll last, but IMHO if it's already getting worse, it'll only get worse quicker, or stop getting worse and not be there ... Might be an idea to remove the shaft altogether and run 2wd for a few days.

Incidentally we noticed ours not by the clunk-chink but by the cd tracks skipping every so often ... traced wiring, changed cd players etc etc but when the front, front UJ was changed the cd went back to being a cd player not a scratch machine.

Yes. I recently did all mine [1] this way, absolutely fine. My only problem is that I have a trapped nerve in my shoulder and I couldn't apply enough pressure to undo the propshaft bolts, though I could do them up!

[1] '96/'97 Disco 300 Tdi.
Reply to
Paul - xxx

Alas the news is not good. Inspection reveals lots of slop on the transfer box which was giving the knocking sound on the prop.

It's off to the gearbox people for a few days. :¬(

Anyone had any experience of such a problem?

Cheers Pete

Reply to
unknown