UK number plate rules

OK, the rules (now) say that I must display on my trailer the number of the towing vehicle.

do they also say that I mustn't also display any other number?

I have a trailer which may be pulled by one of 2 vehicles, I could put both numbers on it... then it will automatically display the right one, but it'll also display another one.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" a écrit dans le message de news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

The rule is the same here in France. But I never saw any trailer with two plates ?? If the 2 plates are registered at the same adress, maybe it's possible ??

-- Henry!

-- "Pleasure in a thing of beauty is the essence of a good life." Zino Davidoff

Reply to
Henry!

I run a trailer with one number which is towed by four vehicles at times, though not usually simultaneously ;-) Never had any problem or stops because of it. AFAIK as long as they are registered to the same owner there should be no problem. OTOH this may be an industry specific dispensation similar to tachograph dispensation.

Huw

Reply to
Huw

What happens if you want to hire a trailer for a day? This ruling sounds completely daft!

I have seen a slightly different situation here, where one of the local dive operators, uses small box trailers to shove all the dive kit in when going from his dive shop - in town - to the beach - about 2km away. When all his trailers are in one place you will notice that they all have exactly the same reg no.

Regards Stephen

Reply to
fanie

On or around Fri, 15 Oct 2004 12:04:40 +0100, "Huw" enlightened us thusly:

AIUI it used to be the case that provided you displayed a number registered to you, then this was OK. However, ISTR reading that the rules had changed and that you now have to display a number that matches the front end.

here:

(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) A registration plate must be fixed on the rear of :-

(a) the vehicle, or

(b) where the vehicle is towing a trailer, the trailer, or

(c) where the vehicle is towing more than one trailer, the rearmost trailer.

however, I can't see anything that says you can't also display another plate as well. They're even both illuminated :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Austin Shackles vaguely muttered something like ...

I think so. When we looked it up, and I can't remember the link (done a format since), we thought the wording was ambiguous enough to make us buy a number plate for both cars, for all the trailers [1] we have. It also stops plod from doing a double-take and pulling you anyway.

We use sticky back velcro on those that we swap amd haven't lost one yet.

[1] camping, motocycle, box, horse and caravan ... jeez I didn't realise we had five trailers, and not one large enough for a trialler Landrover ... though the caravan chassis might make a semi-decent braked trailer in a year or two .. ;);)
Reply to
Paul - xxx

Twas Fri, 15 Oct 2004 11:32:59 +0100 when Austin Shackles put finger to keyboard producing:

would I be right in thinking that you could put a numberplate on, say, the back of your roof rack and as long at your trailer isn't tall enough to obscure it then you don't need a plate on the trailer?

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Coming along the A5 through N Wales last year we got pulled over by the local constable. The number on the trailer didn't match the towing vehicle. In this case the plate had been supplied by the dealer when the vehicle was new, but they had made a mistake, and put different plates on the front and back, and the "extra" plate was the wrong one. The owner has since corrected this.

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

I am sure the law if it exists cannot be universal as in a recovery or a delivery situation numbers on trailers would be routinely different from the towing vehicle.

The best solution might just be to have a number of plates hashed up that can be quickly fixed in position.

Reply to
Larry

On or around Fri, 15 Oct 2004 21:26:59 +0100, "Larry" enlightened us thusly:

recovery and delivery types have various kinds of dispensation and/or trade plates, though.

I've stuck both of 'em on. If anyone complains, I'll furnish a way of covering up the one that ain't applicable.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Actually having two plates and a cover for the one that does not apply seems a very practical solution.

As for me I wonder if I am technically breaking the law by having an askew number plate on the front held on the radiator grill by copper wire. (it was good enough for the MOT)

I could easily mount it otherwise, but the eccentricity of it is growing on me :)

I just wish I qualified for the black and silver ones.

Reply to
Larry

Over here in Ireland, you're only supposed to have 1 number on display, and it must match the towing vehicle.

Or so the (very!) nice female Garda (Irish police officer) informed me a couple of years ago :-) I had 3 numbers on the back- my mate's truck number on the borrowed trailer, the number of the dead 90 on the trailer, and my own number on the tail-light board tied to the trailer.

A few strips of insulating tape over the incorrect numbers fixed it all up, and everyone continued about their business.

I don't know what the exact situation is in the U.K., but whenever I'm towing anything over there, I ensure that I'm only displaying 1 (correct) number. Perhaps it doesn't matter, but I'd rather keep interactions with the constabulary to a minimum :-)

Ivor.

Reply to
Ivor Clegg

On or around Fri, 15 Oct 2004 15:25:37 +0100, Mr.Nice. enlightened us thusly:

nope. see my reply elsewhere in this thread, which quotes the relevant bit of the legislation.

I've not seen anything that precludes fitting another plate as well, though.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

I've been following this thread since it started, but I'm puzzled by some things which have been said.

Do you have to supply your own number plates? Here in Australia, the relevant state Transport Department provide the number plates. Trailers have their own number plate, and it doesn't matter what vehicle is towing them.

Reply to
Graeme Willox

On or around Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:58:05 +1000, Graeme Willox enlightened us thusly:

different here. Your plates are license plates, aren't they, like in the USofA?

here, the vehicle gets registered when built and has a number allocated. trailers towed by the vehicle carry the vehicle's number.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Not in all states. In Victoria at least, small trailers do not have to be registered and they do have to display the number of the towing vehicle - and you supply your own number plate - usually freehand with a two inch brush.

Reply to
JD

Austin Shackles wrote:

(snip)

They are called number plates - the term "licence plates" is an unwanted Americanism that has only appeared in the last twenty years. The plates are issued by the relevant State authority (except WA used to be the local government, may still be) when the vehicle is registered for use on the road, and must be returned to them when the registration is allowed to lapse, which may be when it is scrapped, moved interstate, or taken off the road for any reason. Numbers may be reissued to another vehicle at the authority's discretion, or the registration may be transferred to your new car. About fifty years ago the states came to an agreement where the then existing systems of numbers (which varied, but typically were either a simple number, up to six digits, or two letters followed by three numbers) was replaced by three letters followed by three numbers, with the alphabet of the first letter allocated to the states in proportion to the state population, and additionally plates from adjoining states different colours. For example, NSW had A-F, black on yellow, Victoria G-M, white on black, Qld N-Q, white on black. Z followed by a four digit number was allocated to Federal government cars. (Most states have a separate system for trailers and motorbikes) This system ran out of numbers, even reusing cancelled numbers, quite a few years ago, and most states simply continued with the same system, but using letters which were originally allocated to other states (The number plates have always been marked with the state name or abbreviation). Victoria changed the colour to green on white and restarted from A, Qld changed to putting the numbers first and started from A. Just last month, NSW, where I live, ran out of numbers at ZZZ-999 and restarted a new system with two letters, two numbers, two letters. In addition, over the last twenty years all states have started selling premium plates, where for an additional fee you can have a number plate not in the regular sequence - and the variety of these seems to be limited only by your imagination! (plus what others already have)

The number plates are a standard size (usually motorbike and sometimes trailer plates are smaller), and this standard causes problems with many imported cars. For example, they are about half an inch too wide to fit next to the back door or tailgate on a S2/3/90/110 and too high to fit in spaces designed for the English height numbers. (I think the digits are the same size, but there is an allowance for the state name at the top plus a border.)

See my earlier post about trailers. As you can see from the above, the registration number may or may not convey anything about its age, and may change during its life. For example, my 110 has had three numbers in its life. It was first registered in the Northern Territory, then sold to Victoria, where it acquired a new number, which it retained when I bought it, but then changed again when I moved to NSW. Hope this clarifies matters. JD

Reply to
JD

Twas Sun, 17 Oct 2004 00:58:05 +1000 when Graeme Willox put finger to keyboard producing:

Here the government issue a number (letters and numbers) for each motor vehicle, you then have to have a pair of number plates made with that number on, though when you buy a new car the dealer usually fits number plates. As a trailer is not a motor vehicle it isn't issued with it's own number and you have to display on it the number of the vehicle that's currently towing it. (The exception for this is military vehicles that have seperate plates for trailers and the vehicles log lists which trailer was attached and when).

Regards. Mark.(AKA, Mr.Nice.)

Reply to
Mr.Nice.

I'm not sure how it works in the USA, so I can't really compare. We call them either vehicle registration plates or number plates and they're attached to the vehicle when it's registered for use on public roads.

Here, a licence is a permit, issued for up to 5 years, which authorises a person to drive a registered vehicle on the road. Our license has no relationship at all to the number plate.

Reply to
Graeme Willox

Reply to
Peter Taylor