Understanding Diavia A/C system in 1990 RRC

I have now replaced the burst heater matrix in my 1990 RR Classic.

As part of refitting the heater assembly I have been tidying the typical rats nest of RR wiring. I'm rather puzzled by the wiring to the A/C system.

Is it possible that it could have been fitted as an afterthought, either on the production line or post-sale?

The reason I ask is that the wiring is quite different from that on my previous RRC which was only about 6 months older than the current one. Oddities include a block of relays (I assume) roughly bolted onto the O/S inner wing and fairly rough chunks of loom in sleeving heading off to the condenser fans and under the drivers dash. Also there is a section of A/C wiring which is inserted into the supply to the heater fan. This has clearly been fitted the wrong way round - it has the same wiring colours as the original section (red and red-with- black trace) and has the correct plug and socket to connect the A/C red to the heater red and the A/C Red/Black to the heater red/black. But a couple of very nasty thin bits of wire have been inserted to allow the A/C loom to be inserted the wrong way round.

On the previous RR there where no loose relays - I think that they were amongst the many fitted to the bulkhead on the N/S - or chunks of additional loom or sections of adapting looms.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage