Unlock Code

I had a bit of a panic after work tonight in my '99 RR.

Remote would not work at all, I unlocked the driver's door and opened it - it bleeped of course and when trying to start the engine I got the "Engine Disabled" message.

I haven't had the car long but am wise enough to keep some batteries handy (past experience). Sometime in the past the battery cover has been screwed into the remote with force (and possible superglue) so after much messing about I got the cover off. To cut a long story short I changed the batteries, started the car and drove home.

So, I'm about to get on eBay and order one of those repair kit thingies. The battery cover is fairly well stuffed and the buttons don't look that clever so the kit sounds like a sensible investment.

I have realised what a great idea it would be to have the unlock code handy, but where do I get it?

Another question is I have seen replacement remotes for sale on eBay, I only have 1 so I could do with a spare but I heard a rumour that they cannot be reprogrammed to suit the car. Is that true?

Apologies if this has all been dealt with before but I lost all my history for this NG.

Thanks in advance

Robbiedoo

Reply to
Robbiedoo

Go to your local dealer with your V5 and they will get the unlock code for you. Ask for the EKA code. As far as I'm aware keys cannot be reprogrammed. They are ordered to chassis number and are £100ish plus vat

Reply to
Mark Dickinson

Thanks Mark.

Any idea what they'll charge me for that? or how long it takes?

"Mark Dick>

Reply to
Robbiedoo

Depends on the dealership as to charge, we don't charge. As long as the Land Rover server is up and running it takes about 30seconds to get.

Reply to
Mark Dickinson

can fit new bits to the

you get the bits from LR

to tell thewm what key

Nige

Nige

Reply to
Nige

Thanks Mark

"Mark Dick>

Reply to
Robbiedoo

True enough but I think the car can be told which keys to accept... ie you program the car not the key. Fairly sure this needs to be done at a =

dealers though and just wandering in with a "spare key" won't work the keys number needs to be known. Lots of other makes of cars have a "training sequence" in which complicated waggling/holding in a doors lock/unlock position and similar in the ignition barrel teaches the car =

the keys ID. I don't think LR have that feature.

As with may things related to security I think a lot of that price tag i= s a deterrant rather than a true reflection of the items cost.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

-snip-

Can't help with the remote problem, but Google Groups is the archive for usenet now - very handy.

Reply to
Danny

Robbiedoo nearly made me spill my Shiraz on 26/04/2006 18:37 by writing:

A couple of quid each for the batteries in the high street and another quid for the pad at the dealer is an even better deal than the £15 for the kit, last time I saw it.

Contact a local dealer with the VIN and ask them for the EKA code.

Yes. I've said if before, and I'll say it again: 100 quid - the price of a new key - if you can send me a key and tell me how to program it to open my 1997 P38A.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Cunningham

I got a spare blipper for my RR from

(paul) and he also cut me a spare key as well, the lot was £65 and it works a treat, he does a lot of stuff for Land Rovers.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Crowder