uprated headlamps - a warning

I always thoght it was a Race- but I could be wrong in which case blame Grandstand (cue music

)Derek

Merry Christmas and a mud plugging New Year

Reply to
Derek

I wired up my series 2. On advice of a mate i put my sidelights and my headlights on completely different circuits, fuses and switches and i have the higher wattage indicator bulbs in my sidelights. Means that if i loose my headlights then you can drive quite easily on just the sidelights!. Its happened atleast once too (i think a dodgy connector fell apart and i lost headlights)

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Sun, 25 Dec 2005 23:19:23 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

makes sense. what also makes sense is a dual-circuit sidelight - you don't need the 21W bulbs when it's dark and the headlamps are on. Best bet would be to swap the sidelight units fro brake/tails with white glasses on, and have the 21W ones for use in dim daylight conditions, and a changeover relay triggered from the headlight circuit to put the 21W filaments off and 5W ones on when you put the headlamps on.

Bit like the Swedes used to do.

21W lamps are good for daylight running lamps when its murky or pissing down or something - better than the ultrabright dip beams every twonk wants to use, usually in addition to foglamps, when it's not foggy.

Front foglights have a single purpose: to enable you to reduce the glare reflected from fog at night, and still be able to see a certain amount where you're going. To do this they need to be aimed properly and mounted low down, principally so they're lower than your eye height.

There is a related problem with constant lighting, though: it tends to result in drivers who only look for lights - but it looks like I'm increasingly in the minority about this. Mind you, constant lighting adds to the fuel bills :-)

OK, here's my re-write of lighting regulations - and I now have some respect for those who formulate these things: this set only apply to single rigid vehicles, not motorcycles and not long enough to need additional side marker lamps... You can tell I'm bored...

Begins...

--------------

All new vehicles to be fitted with the following illumination. Vehicles already extant to be made to comply where possible. e.g. vehicles already fitted with fog lamps should conform to switching requirements. There will be no requirement to modify vehicle bodywork in order to move lamps which have previously been approved, nor to add daylight lamps where this would require modification of the vehicle structure.

1) Obligatory lamps. a) Switching.

i) Lighting switch to have 3 positions, viz. Off, Head, Fog. [represented in table 1)d) by O, H, F].

ii) An automatic switch to operate the brake lamps which operates in conjunction with the brake pedal being depressed and remains off otherwise [represented in table 1)d) by O or B].

iii) A switch to operate flashing direction indicators [represented in table 1)d) by O, L, R].

iv) A switch to operate all direction indicators simultaneously ("Hazard warning switch") [represented in table 1)d) by O, Z]

v) A automatic switch to operate reversing lamps which operates in conjunction with selection of reverse gear and remains off at all other times [represented in table 1)d) by O, V].

b) Position and fitment of obligatory lamps

i) Front position and daytime lamps. a) Number - 2 front position, 2 daytime. b) Height - between 500 and 1200mm from ground level. c) Across vehicle - not more than 200mm from the extreme edge of the vehicle, not counting moveable items such as wing mirrors. d) Along vehicle - not more than 300 mm from the extreme front of the vehicle e) Lamps to form symmetrical pairs. f) At least one of a pair of lamps to be clearly visible from the front of the vehicle, in an arc covering the area from the front-rear centre line of the vehicle to either side, as far as 90 degrees, measured from the lamp position. g) Position and daytime lamps may be combined in one unit

ii) Obligatory headlamps. a) Number - 2 b) Height - between 500 and 1200mm from ground level c) Across vehicle - not more than 300mm from the extreme edge of the vehicle, not counting moveable items such as wing mirrors. d) Along vehicle - not more than 300 mm from the extreme front of the vehicle e) Lamps to form a symmetrical pair. f) Lamps to face forwards and be so aimed as not to dazzle other road users.

iii) Obligatory front fog lamps. a) Number - 2 b) Height - not more than 500mm from ground level c) Across vehicle - not more than 300mm from the extreme edge of the vehicle, not counting moveable items such as wing mirrors. d) Along vehicle - not more than 300 mm from the extreme front of the vehicle e) Lamps to form a symmetrical pair. f) Lamps to face forwards and be so aimed as not to dazzle other road users.

iv) Combined rear position/fog lamps. a) Number - 2 b) Height - between 500 and 1200mm from ground level. c) Across vehicle - not more than 200mm from the extreme edge of the vehicle, not counting moveable items such as wing mirrors. d) Along vehicle - not more than 300mm from the extreme rear of the vehicle e) Lamps to form a symmetrical pair. f) At least one of a pair of lamps to be clearly visible from the rear of the vehicle, in an arc covering the area from the front-rear centre line of the vehicle to either side, as far as 90 degrees, measured from the lamp position.

v) Brake lamps a) Number - 2 b) Height - between 500 and 1200mm from ground level. c) Across vehicle - not more than 400mm from the extreme edge of the vehicle, not counting moveable items such as wing mirrors. d) The centre of the lamps to be at least 100mm from the centre of the combined rear position/fog lamp. e) Along vehicle - not more than 300mm from the extreme rear of the vehicle f) Lamps to form a symmetrical pair. g) At least one of a pair of lamps to be clearly visible from the rear of the vehicle, in an arc covering the area from the front-rear centre line of the vehicle to either side, as far as 60 degrees, measured from the lamp position.

vi) Front direction indicator lamps a) Number - 2 b) Height - between 500 and 1200mm from ground level. c) Across vehicle - not more than 200mm from the extreme edge of the vehicle, not counting moveable items such as wing mirrors. d) Along vehicle - not more than 300 mm from the extreme front of the vehicle e) Lamps to form a symmetrical pair. f) At least one of a pair of lamps to be clearly visible from the front of the vehicle, in an arc covering the area from the front-rear centre line of the vehicle to either side, as far as 120 degrees, measured from the lamp position, unless side repeater lamps are fitted

vii) Rear direction indicator lamps a) Number - 2 b) Height - between 500 and 1200mm from ground level. c) Across vehicle - not more than 200mm from the extreme edge of the vehicle, not counting moveable items such as wing mirrors. d) Along vehicle - not more than 300 mm from the extreme rear of the vehicle e) Lamps to form a symmetrical pair. f) At least one of a pair of lamps to be clearly visible from the rear of the vehicle, in an arc covering the area from the front-rear centre line of the vehicle to either side, as far as 120 degrees, measured from the lamp position, unless side repeater lamps are fitted viii) Side repeater direction indicator lamps. Where either the front or rear direction indicator lamps do not conform to the required angle of visibility as specified in 1)b)vi)f) or 1)b)vii)f), an additional indicator lamp shall be fitted to the side of the vehicle, such that it is visible in an arc of 160 degrees to the side of the vehicle, radiating from the lamp position.

ix) Reversing lamps. a) Number - 2 b) Height - between 500 and 1200mm from ground level. c) Across vehicle - not more than 400mm from the extreme edge of the vehicle, not counting moveable items such as wing mirrors. d) Along vehicle - not more than 300mm from the extreme rear of the vehicle e) Lamps to form a symmetrical pair.

c) Table - Obligatory lamps: wattage (light output) and colour

lamp minimum maximum colour output* output*

front position 5W 7W white

front daytime 18W 24W white

dipped beam 40W 55W white

front fog 40W 55W white or yellow

rear position 5W 7W red

rear fog 18W 24W red

brake 18W 24W red

direction 18W 24W amber indicator

side repeater 5W 7W amber

reversing 18W 24W white

d) Table - obligatory lamps: operating conditions

lamp engine light lamp comment running switch alight front position no O no yes O no no H or F yes parking yes H or F yes in case of main lamp failure

front daytime no O no yes O yes no H or F no yes H or F no

headlamp no O no (dipped beam) yes O no no H or F no no headlamp when parked yes H yes yes F no can't have dip and fog simultaneously

front fog no O no yes O no no H or F no no fog lamp when parked yes H no can't have fog and dip simultaneously yes F yes

rear combined no O no position yes O yes rear daytime component no H or F yes parking yes H or F yes

rear combined no O no fog component yes O no no H or F no yes H no yes F yes

brake no O no no B yes brake lamps always work yes O no yes B yes

near-side direction no O no indicator no R no no L yes indicators always work yes O no yes R no yes L yes

off-side direction no O no indicator no R yes indicators always work no L no yes O no yes R yes yes L no

all direction no O no indicators no Z yes (hazard lights) yes O no yes Z yes

reversing lamps no O no no V no yes O no yes V yes

2) Optional lamps The following optional lamps may be fitted. No other optional lamps are allowed. a) Optional position lamps.

i) Switching - optional position lamps may be switched independently in any manner that produces a symmetrical light pattern.

ii) Front position lamps - up to 8 may be fitted, of not more than 7W output* each. Lamps should form a symmetrical pattern and must not emit a red light.

iii) Rear position lamps - up to 8 may be fitted, of not more than 7W output* each. Lamps should form a symmetrical pattern and must emit a red light.

b) Optional headlamps.

i) switching a) All optional headlamps must be capable of being switched off simultaneously by a single switch ("dipswitch"). b) individual optional headlamps may be switched on or off provided that this switching does not interfere with requirement 2)b)ii)a)

ii) Number - up to 8

iii) Fitment - light must be aimed forwards and must not show a white light to the rear of the vehicle

iv) Output - not more than 60W per lamp.

v) One pair of optional headlamps are permitted to turn in the same direction, but not necessarily by the same amount, as the steering wheels of the vehicle, provided that this does not conflict with requirement 2)b)iii).

c) Optional Brake lamps

i) switching - Optional brake lights must be switched so as to operate in conjunction with the obligatory brake lamps.

ii) Number - up to 2

iii) Fitment a) lamps must be fitted facing to the rear b) lamps must emit a red light c) lamps must not exceed 24W output d) lamps must be fitted in a symmetrical pattern.

d) Optional rear indicators i) switching - optional indicators must be switched so as to operate in conjunction with the appropriate obligatory indicator. ii) Number - 2 iii) Fitment a) lamps must be fitted facing to the rear b) lamps must emit a red light c) lamps must not exceed 24W output d) lamps must be fitted in a symmetrical pattern.

e) Worklights - any lamp which emits a light not approved in regulations 1) and 2)a) - d). i) Switching - all worklights should ideally be incapable of being illuminated while the vehicle is in motion. In any case, a prominent warning lamp or telltale shall be fitted to indicate that any workight is illuminated. ii) worklights should as far as possible be fitted so as to minimise inconvenience to other road users. iii) save subject to 2)e)iv), it shall be an offence to use a vehicle such that worklights are illuminated while the vehicle is in motion. iv) exceptions e) The following vehicles shall be allowed to operate with worklights illuminated while in motion where the use of said lights is essential to the safe or proper operation of the vehicle: i) emergency vehicles. ii) vehicles engaged in road maintenance during the hours of darkness. iii) vehicles engaged in the recovery of broken down vehicles during the hours of darkness.

  • output means the light output from a standard incandescent bulb of the specified wattage or equivalent light intensity from other types of light source.

----------------------- ends.

if any of you CBA to read this far, a) well done and b) I welcome comments, either in the group or in private. If replying by email, removing the obvious spamtrap makes it more likely that I'll see it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

A chatter.

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

In article , Austin Shackles writes

Joseph Lucas, Prince of Darkness? Landy switches are not very nice.

I had the obligatory hazard flasher switch replacement to do t'other day. Got one (ostensibly new) off eBay. It certainly looked new (no oxidation nor wear on the pins and in a sealed bag), but it disintegrated when I tried to fit it - one of the nastiest bits of mechanical design I've seen in a long time. I managed to cannibalize new and old to get one good one, but I'll be swapping to toggle switches and relays as soon as I get time. Hang the look of the thing - it needs to WORK properly...

Regards,

Simonm.

Reply to
SpamTrapSeeSig

Is the original available on the web Austin?

Alan Morris.

Reply to
Alan Morris

On or around Tue, 3 Jan 2006 01:08:36 -0000, "Alan Morris" enlightened us thusly:

I guess it could be... It's not, 'cos I invented it and typed it into the news client. I did think I should save it, though...

for the avoidance of any doubt, that is NOT a set of current lighting regulations, it's what *I* think they should say.

I do have the current UK lighting regulations available somewhere.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Tue, 3 Jan 2006 01:08:36 -0000, "Alan Morris" enlightened us thusly:

it really ought to have a diagram for the visibility angles, but I though that was beyond the scope of usenet news and ascii-art.

Hmm. foolishly, I decided to cut and paste into Word. I hate using Word. I'll invent some drawings for lamp visibility and add them to it, then PDF it. Might send it to the Powers That Be... :-)

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" wrote

I agree on Word. I never use it to produce documents. I'd like a copy of that PDF. Tried to e-mail you, but all 3 personal links on your website were broken when I tried.

Alan Morris

Reply to
Alan Morris

On or around Wed, 4 Jan 2006 01:11:45 -0000, "Alan Morris" enlightened us thusly:

ah, could be. replying to news messages works but is prone to delays whereas leaving out the obvious gets it to my normal mailbox which gets checked more often.

the website got moved, and not all the files have been sorted yet - 's only been about a year...

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 4 Jan 2006 01:11:45 -0000, "Alan Morris" enlightened us thusly:

I'll keep you posted. I'll invent some diagrams soon.

Reply to
Austin Shackles