Urgh - plea for help

Ah well

Bodge one

I appear to have *ahem* misplaced *ahem* a vacuum hose when rebuilding my engine and was wondering (simper, simper, knowledge sponge simper) if anybody could help me....

On the vacuum unit on the distributor there are two nipples. I know that one wants to attach to the small nipple on the left hand carburettor which is under the air cleaner when it's fitted.

Where does the other one want to be connected to?

Does anybody actually have a diagram for where all the pipes on a bog standard naturally aspirated 3.5 V8 go? I have a horrible feeling I've connected stuff arse over tit and Haynes isn't actually any damn help at all with this one.

To be fair the car was running, albeit with a misfire. Then I put any load on it and it stops. Never to go again. With something that was either steam or smoke coming from the distributor.

I have just had to pull the dratted thing into the kerb on the starter and as it's within 1/4mile of home and I only have roadside cover the RAC won't touch it.

Anybody got any ideas? This one's worth a beer for successful help.

Also, if there's anybody around Aylesbury way can give me a tow, that's worth at least several beers.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Can't you harness a team of ducks?

(Sorry, less than helpful there.)

QrizB

50 miles from Aylesbury as the duck flies ...
Reply to
QrizB

Hmm. I'm in Luton, which is a bit far.

Alex

Reply to
Alex

I now have a new ditributor cap on this car, good spark to the plug leads.

I have 8 sparkplugs sitting on the kitchen table cleaned (well, as clean as I can get them) and gapped and held in the cooker flame to burn some of the crud off the electrodes.

I would like to just quickly pour a little damnation upon whoever decided it would be a good idea to require a 3 foot long plug key to get the #8 plug out of this particular car - with the way the Pulsair, the chimney on the offside exhaust manifold and the brake lines interact this is what it took. The flexiwrench won't look at it as the angles end up being too extreme.

Tomorrow I put the plugs back in, test all the leads, pour WD40 everywhere and try again.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Hey! Nip on over to

and see what a team of ducks CAN do :)

Neil Ducks On Chariots Founder Member :)

Reply to
Neil Brownlee

The trick is to start by doing the same plug on a 101 ambulance. Then do the Disco, as it will seem like a walk in the park.

It took my 30 minutes to get the king lead back on the coil due to the impossible positioning and the short-sighted way I was created with only 1 joint in my arm.

Have you got the car back home now?

Tim Hobbs

Tim Hobbs

On or around Tue, 28 Oct 2003 15:02:24 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

There's one that does sod-all on mine.

the one facing away from the dizzy body is where the vacuum hose goes onto. The other thing doesn't have anything connected on mine.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Pipe from the top of the l/h carb goes to the connection pointing away from the dizzy, cap off other connection on dizzy vacuum advance capsule, the one pointing towards the dizzy. There should be another vacuum port underneath one of the carbs, pointing downwards from the mounting flange, blank that off as well or it'll run lean and maybe misfire! Best thing to do with the pulsair system is to remove it completely and blank off all holes, the engine will run smoother, quieter and give another 3 or 4 bhp to boot!! In north of Scotland, tow rope not long enough, sorry! Pity it hadn't happened at the top of the hill on the road to Tring, you might have been able to roll home!! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I'll look at removing the pulsair system sometime soon when I figure out what size of bolts I need to blank it.

I just cleaned, gapped and refitted all of the plugs along with replacing the dizzy cap and redoing all of the plugleads per the Haynes book. I can now get the car to backfire while cranking on the key, but no more than that.

Tomorrow I go and get a rotor arm (£19.75+VAT from the local dealer who aren't even who they were last month - Dutton Forshaw become Craig Douglas) and try that.

I suspect the timing to be badly out, and I'm not even sure the plug order in the Haynes is right.

Rolling down Tring Hill in neutral is an interesting experience - definitely good for bumpstarting even a diesel (go on - guess how I know that).

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

And then try it on the B bank of a Silver Shadow ;-)

Steve. Suffolk. remove 'knujon' to e-mail

Reply to
AN6530

I was just about to say try a Silver Cloud. It's practically impossible to get the rearmost two plugs out, as the power steering box makes access a bitch. And you have to do it underneath the wing, like a 101.

Even worse getting the starter motor off....

Alex

Reply to
Alex

On or around Wed, 29 Oct 2003 17:39:45 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

works on mine... assuming you've the RR book.

1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2, but make sure you've gone the correct way around the dizzy, and that when you've set it at the timing mark on the engine pulley you've got the #1 lead where the rotor's pointing.

RR book has a nice little picture, disco book hasn't. plonkers. Haynes are definitely going downhill.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hrmm

When I set it to the timing mark, I have the rotor pointing at #7 - any ideas?

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

Folloring up to my own post I tried a quick experiment.

I moved #1 lead to where the #7 post is and then redid all the leads in sequence.

Guess what.

The haynes has the whole shooting match rotated 2 posts clockwise. The car is now running about as sweetly as it ever has. Some nice person had even done the blob-of-paint on the timing marks for me.

I really wonder why I bother paying the money some times.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Sat, 01 Nov 2003 18:04:10 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

I once had an audi 80, on which the cambelt broke. I replaced the belt, setting th camshaft as per the book with the dizzy arm pointing in the direction it was supposed to.

no go.

some puzzlement later, I discovered that the last person to do have the dizzy off it (before I had it) must have put it back 90 degrees out. moved all the leads round, and it was as good as new.

Reply to
Austin Shackles