V8/35DLM8 Probs.

Hi,

Fiddling about with my recently acquired 89 RR I realised the rotor arm was stuck on the distributor. In fact the the spindle was so rusty the rotor had also split. The mechanical advance/retard mechanism was also rusted solid. So, distributor stripped, rebuilt and refitted I find to get the TDC timing required the vacuum capsule is up against the back of the water pump casing. This means althought the timing is correct there is no way it can be advanced further ( e.g. for LPG ). I've checked the pulley timing marks and they seem correct relative to No 1 piston.

On to the questions :

The book states the vacuum capsule should be approx 90 deg to the cam. Is it possible the cam chain is a tooth out or maybe the camshaft end float is wrong ?

There is a vacuum delay valve fitted in the pipe from the plenum . This seems to be completely blocked in one direction. Should there not be some leakage through it ( the book says something about 240 to 360 seconds, 8 mins after I put my foot down something happens ? )? There does not seem to be any vacuum advance at idle.

thanks in advance, Wafty

Reply to
Wafty

The dizzy has been installed one tooth out, that's all. Remove the dizzy and refit with the drive gear one tooth away from where it is now. You'll need to rotate the oil pump drive slightly to allow re-engagement with the dizzy drive before installing the dizzy.

No leakage, fit with "dist" side to dizzy, it will be just fine. This was discussed on a recent thread.

badger.

Reply to
Badger

Or if you can't be arsed removing the dizzy then turn the body to where you want it and reposition the HT leads in the cap. Lazy barsteward me. :-)

Martin

Reply to
Oily

one of the trickiest parts of most of the engine rebuilds i have done or helped with has been getting the dissy in the right place!

Ive never done a v8 but my car took me ages due to the way the inner section of the dissy turns by 30degrees as you engage the drive gear. It took me atleast 3 or 4 tries the first time of fitting it then finding i couldnt quite get the timing right without the capsule hitting the manifold!

Reply to
Tom Woods

On or around Fri, 22 Dec 2006 18:32:11 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

I took the f***er out. Makes a world of difference to the running. I'm far from convinced it's necessary.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

On or around Sat, 23 Dec 2006 12:10:52 +0000, Tom Woods enlightened us thusly:

I'm with Oily on this one. determine #1 compression stoke and TDC by turning the engine by hand, see where the rotor arm is pointing and place leads accordingly. If you want to be poncey, the "correct" lead placement is alleged to reduce the possibilities of cross-firing, except for the 2 that cross over, 3 and 5 maybe?

Of course, fitting decent leads should prevent that anyway.

Got to play with the 110 V8 engine sometime and work out where that's got to, it don't run as-is, so probably it's sparking #1 when it's on compression on #6 or something.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

How many bits have you removed from your LR to make it run better Austin? I remember you said disable the EGR, and now the vaccum pipe. Was it you that removed the anti-roll bar too? How much weight can we save? Can we pay for Christmas by selling the spare bits? TonyB

Reply to
TonyB

On or around Sat, 23 Dec 2006 17:08:35 -0000, "TonyB" enlightened us thusly:

hehe. different motors, though. the EGR was disabled on the TDi, the vacuum pipe *delay unit* (NOT the whole pipe) was taken off the V8. The delay unit has been replaced by a joint which means it's not got a delay any more. Drives like a different motor, so it either doesn't need the delay unit or the one on it was fuggered.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

Like the new nic :)

Happy Holidays.

Reply to
William Tasso

On or around Sat, 23 Dec 2006 20:59:49 -0000, "William Tasso" enlightened us thusly:

heh. came from a website that generates silly titles...

here:

Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

It seems to have an anal fixation;

"His Noble Excellency Ian the Waspish of Happy Bottomshire"

"Reverend Earl Ian the Ingenious of Leg over Wallop"

That's better.

Reply to
Ian Rawlings

Merry Christmas Austin, and thanks for the title. :-)

Reply to
Lord EMB the Undamaged of Oxbridge by Camford

Ditto

Richard

Reply to
Very Lord Richard the Paragon of Snotting on Wold

On or around Sun, 24 Dec 2006 16:03:29 +1300, Lord EMB the Undamaged of Oxbridge by Camford enlightened us thusly:

and, as I remarked somewhere else, the same to you with baubles on.

do you get Christmas earlier or later than us, I've forgotten where exactly it changes from Sunday to Monday. I recall someone had a plan for the ultimate new-year party for 1999/2000, it involved pacific islands and flying west (or east) for about 100 miles, to the other side of the date line and doing it all again the next night.

Reply to
Lord Austin the Ebullient of Happy Bottomshire

Earlier - it's now early Xmas morning and I'm off to bed for a wee kip until the kids wake me wanting to open presents.

Reply to
EMB