V8 Disco, stuffed block

G'day, I have a 98 V8 3.9 Discovery, I bought it used with history unknown and all was well for a couple of months then it started using coolant.

All hoses, expansion tank, cap, waterpump etc were all brand new (I fitted them as normal maintnance) then had the heads rebuilt with new composite gaskets.

Still no luck and removing the heads again revealed the front passanger side piston shiny and "steamed cleaned", the liners visually appeared ok, so a jig was made up to block off water gallerys and small amounts of coolant were dripping in the offending cylinder under pressure, I belive this is coming from behind the liner?

Ive been told the block cannot be repaired and the lowest mileage motor I can find at any wreckers is around 180,000 klms at a cost of around $3000 AU (about 1200 pounds I think)...Im not keen on this option as the wreckers will only offer 90 days warranty and I figure the motors life is already 1/2 gone. My engine had done around 250,000 which is pretty average here for that year.

Ive found through a Rover dealer I can buy a complete short motor brand new for around $4000 AU so think this is the way to go.

My question is this likely to happen again? or was the fault probably caused by poor maintnance, wrong coolant, topping up with tap water etc etc?

Its alot of money to spend on an older car, but I use 4WD daily where I live and found the Disco lightyears ahead in comfort and refinement compared to similar vintage Nissans and Toyotas. I'd like to think if I spend this amount on it (the rest of the car is excellent) I'll get quite a few years service from it .

Cheers

Reply to
Bob

I think it's a design feature for the Rover V8s of that period. To get the emissions spec up they run the thing far too hot and the liners give up the ghost way too early.

I am told that you can get the thing rechipped to avoid the problem but I am also told that on hearing the word 'rechipped' your insurance company assumes it now develops more HP than a top fuel dragster and adjusts your premium accordingly.

nigelH

Reply to
Nigel Hewitt

How would your insurance company find out your motor was re-chipped? You would be daft to tell them yourself.

Reply to
Gordon Wedman

Hey, it's done 250k kms (155k miles) - I'd hardly call that "way too early". Not outstanding, but hardly a cause for complaint. In most "cars", it would have outlasted the bodywork.

Reply to
Rich B

In the UK you can get the block rebored and the liners replaced with 'top hat' liners which eliminate the problem - lot less money than a new block. AFAIK the 3.9 was much less prone to this problem than the later

4.6.
Reply to
AJG

Richard

On or around Fri, 05 Oct 2007 15:55:13 GMT, "Gordon Wedman" enlightened us thusly:

They wouldn't until you run into something and then if they do find out they refuse to pay the claim as you've not notified 'em. Your choice. I doubt an aftermarket chip looks like an original one, depends how thorough they want to be in investigating.

I imagine that in extremis you could also be done for driving without insurance.

Reply to
Austin Shackles