V8 engine clonk..and stuff

Hi Folks !

to Austin and the usual engine enthusist crew..my Disco SD1 3.5 has a clunk when slight engine load is first applied and then dies off (only due to the revs on the engine I'm guessing)...203,000 km's(126875miles)..when the injectors are unplugged at idle from No 4 and 6 pistons the noise is gone..my question is it (or can it be) the sleeve bearing on the camshaft and how big a job.. I pulled the sump off the other day and found grinds in the bottom of the sump..the prior owner/dealership had only silasticed the sump on no gasket so it always wept oil (that explains a prior post of losing 200ml/500km trip)...

Also if someone wants a cheap MAF sensor for your old RR/Disco checkout :

sorry for plug but hopefully I will be able to save up for an exchange or the crankshaft and bearings ?

Cheers, Greg

Reply to
wundermann

On or around 21 Jun 2004 20:43:24 -0700, greg snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au (wundermann) enlightened us thusly:

hmm. not easy to diagnose from that, I fear. do you mean you have an engine knock, or a single clunk? single clunk on applying drive is much more likely to be transmission.

there seem to be many kinds of knock on V8s. I've had several which have a slight knock on climbing long steep hills half-warm, the latest one is no exception. I was worried the first time... beats me what does it - oil pressure on the last 2 was good, but they all had this tendency to knock when not fully warm. going up similar hills at full operating temperature doesn't seem to make it knock.

tried this one on petrol as well as LPG and it appears to be the same.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

(wundermann)

More than likely a touch of piston slap until everything is fully up to temp and expanded. I'd be more interested in the metal in the sump, though. Time to check the crank shells, I fear. Badger B.H.Engineering Rover V8 Engine Builders

Reply to
Badger

On or around Tue, 22 Jun 2004 18:04:03 +0100, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

mine's not got metal in the sump, luckily.

seems a good 'un, in fact, so far.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

This is an engine tick..bores looked clean from underneath and I replaced the head gaskets..about 6 months ago..valves etc looked ok...timing chain replaced and that is about it..is it worth taking the rocker cover off..and look while engine idling or will I be sprayed with oil..RH side 2,4,6,8...as already mentioned when 4 and 6 have no compression the noise is gone..feathering the accelerator (while in neutral) will increase the noise then it will subside..but it will come back straight away at

500-1000rpm rev range..sounds like crankshaft bearing between 4 and 6 to me..low end sound not top-end.. driving as though it is on 7 cylinders..up hill no guts..revs and road speed drop like a stone..anyway this is just for summising a cause..I will be transplanting a low k engine when my tax comes in :)

Thanks folks, Greg

Reply to
wundermann

On or around 22 Jun 2004 17:36:19 -0700, greg snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com.au (wundermann) enlightened us thusly:

you can do this if you want. 's fascinating - the pushrods spin while it's running, all at different speeds on the one I was looking at, including one that didn't which is wrong. Meanwhile...

you haven't got no compression by pulling the injectors, just no firing. As I'm sure you know :-)

however, this does sound a bit like bearing problems, from the details given, or maybe a badly worn piston.

Reply to
Austin Shackles