V8 into Series 3 - Some Questions

Hi all,

I'm at the stage of stripping down a 3.5l V8 to stick into my Series 3, and I have a few questions:

1 - The engine in question is missing the water pump, and the timing cover isn't in the best of shape. Will a different timing cover & water pump fit, and if so what's recommended for clearance?

2 - Is it ok to re-use the cylinder head bolts?

3 - If I want to change the cam for one that gives more torque, would it be best to change the pistons for higher compression ones? The C.R. at the moment is 8.13:1 Any good cam recommendations, while we're at it?

4 - I have the option to get the diffs out of the range rover that the engine came out of. Can they just be swapped into the S3 axles? If it's not quite that straightforward, what's involved?

Thanks, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Not sure about timing covers but there are different water pumps that will fit. The Range Rover one will fit by removing the fan and cutting the end of the shaft off. The type fitted to the Rover 3500 (P6) cars is the best I think, as just the fan has to be taken off.

Usualy best to fit new ones.

Will you realy need more torque? Have you looked at

they will be able to give you good advice as to cams etc. Some people fit a 3.9 cam to the 3.5 for a little better performance.

The diffs are a straight swap.

Have a look at my website for pictures of the conversions I have done, for the red S3 I used the Rover 3500 (P6) car water pump and on the green S2a we used the range rover type.

Hope this helps

Liam

Reply to
Liam