V8 Oil Pressure

1986 EFi Range Rover.

Have been starting to get a low oil pressure light, when the engine is idling and gearbox in drive.

Changed the oil pump gears , pressure relief valve and spring last night, and it seem to be better, though still get an occasional flicker when changing from neutral to drive.

I could just ignore it, but if oil pressure is marginal now, suspect it will be almost non-existant in the summer, especially when towing.

I guess I have to accept that the main / big end shells are worn so (possibly stupid) question is, can the bearing shells be changed with the engine in the car (I have access to a proper 4 post ramp)?

Anything else I should try before biting the bullet (already using

20w/50).

David

Reply to
rads

Yes, before doing all that, fit an oil pressure gauge so you can see whats actually going on and then make your decision - should get one for a tenner or so and it may save you a load of grief. I wouldn't worry about an older V8 having little pressure at idle, as long as it gets 20 psi or more when driving and warmed up.

Reply to
Exit

I've often wondered... is there a need to bleed the air from a Oil pressure gauge when fitting...or won't it make any difference anyway?

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Have you swapped the sensor ? This solved the problem on My old V8 Rangie (sniff sniff....)

Lee D

-- ________________________________

Just a little hobby site about Landies :-) ________________________________

Reply to
Lee_D

Hi all had this in the past on two Range Rovers, and tracked it down to a gunged up pick up pipe strainer, the one which is in the sump, you will be ammazed how much muck gets in it, for the sake of a sump gasget and a bit of effort I have found it is well worth it and you can give the old sump a good old clean out....

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Good thinking, think that will be next port of call.

Julian, pressure gauge for a tenner? Scrapyard?

David

Reply to
rads

Hi,

Julian is right - Ive got an oil gauge for a tenner from my local autofactors but I did have to get my own adaptor made as the ones in the box did not fit my mocal remote filter head tapping, but that only took 1/2 an hour (and Ive not used a lathe for 10yrs, it came flooding back!).

Ive started making a list of all thread sizes found on my series and v8 motors - will post them when it looks long enough!

Just for your interest, my gauge is connected to remote filter head, on warm tickover i get 7-10psi on running i get 25 - 30 psi.

I also fitted a second oil switch with a 15psi rating - just a back up really - it does make you look at the gauge!

Rog

Reply to
Rog

On or around Wed, 28 Jan 2004 12:40:02 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

if you know where to get a decent oil gauge for a tenner I want to know...

the best price I found recently was about 22 quid and that was from a bunch who've yet to send me the thing I ordered before christmas.

but he's right, fit a gauge.

the spec is 30-40 psi at 2400 rpm.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Wed, 28 Jan 2004 13:19:43 -0000, "Lee_D" enlightened us thusly:

don't make no odds, pressure's pressure, innit.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

"Austin Shackles" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

Nope. Air can be compressed, liquids cannot.

Reply to
aghasee

Local LR bods, SH.

Sounds like you've been looking at Demon Tweeks again you boy racer! :)

Reply to
Exit

Local LR place, secondhand.

Reply to
Exit

But in what is effectively a static system, pressure is felt equally at all points. The air may compress, but only to the same pressure as the oil pushing against it. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

So, CO2 Fuel Line Chillers and InterCoolerCoolers for a TD5 then?

Or maybe Recaros to replace the seats in my Rangie

Actually, that's not such a bad idea.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

On or around Thu, 29 Jan 2004 22:38:03 +0000, "Paul S. Brown" enlightened us thusly:

I've got some sportyford seats from an XR4x4 in the 110. brilliant, they are, specially compared with the standard 110 ones.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

How about these for destroying your night vision and annoying oncoming cars?

Exit

On or around Thu, 29 Jan 2004 18:34:49 -0000, "Badger" enlightened us thusly:

prezackly. which was my point. the oil pressure compresses the air, and the gauge reads pressure and the gauge doesn't care if it's got oil or air in it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

On or around Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:48:21 GMT, "Exit" enlightened us thusly:

nah, this was some other lot. I wanted a replacement pipe for me oil gauge (steering column caught the other one and made it a funny shape) which was duly ordered and has yet to show. Mind, was only about 7 quid, but still, it's the principle of the thing isn't it.

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Nah, if I want to do that I'll stick a generator in the loadbed and stick a bunch of 500W floodlights above the windscreen switched with the mainbeam.

P.

Reply to
Paul S. Brown

"Austin Shackles" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com

I totally agree. But the generalisation you made is not correct. ;-)

Reply to
aghasee