V8 poor running in wet, HT lead?

My series 3 V8 has for a while now ran poorly in damp or wet weather, one moment its running fine the next it looses a lot of power and only just keeps going. Over the past 6 months or so I've been trying to find the problem and have overhauled or replaced several parts (carbs, ignition system etc.). Just the other day I had my head under the bonnet whilst it was raining to see if I could spot anything, when I brushed my hand over the HT lead from the coil to distributor I got a shock off it. Now my thinking is that this must be the problem but these are new magnecor leads so I tried an old lead on and I was getting a shock off that as well. Anyone know what could be causing this?

Thanks Liam

Reply to
Liam

I have a V8 too - and you might have answered your own question there. A lead shouldn't shock you if it's in good condition.

Reply to
Landylover

There must be a problem with the leads or the plugs because the spark should be easier to jump across the gap at the plug that it is to jump through the insulation of the leads. I also have a v8 with a high output coil (35000V) and i can hold the ignition leads whilst its running without getting a shock.

You could also check the earth strap to the engine just to make sure the engine is earthed correctly.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
db2

...and Landylover spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

Try the same trick at night. If you can see the HT leads tracking, the leads are u/s.

Reply to
Richard Brookman

I was hoping that someone could point the finger at something else, when I pay £75 of a set of leads I expect them to last longer than 2 years (7500 miles). Having said that though I think they have a 10 year guarantee so should in theory be able to get it replaced. Think I'll check out the distributor and rotor arm first and make sure the engine is earthed well.

Thanks Liam

Reply to
Liam

...and Liam spake unto the tribes of Usenet, saying...

You could do the after-dark check now (8:52 pm), for nothing!

Reply to
Richard Brookman