V8 Questions

Hi,

V8 gurus (Badger+others!) I have a 4.6(bitsa engine) which I've just taken the head off, it's got a 1998 date code on it. It's got 10 bolts holding the head on in two rows - are these stretch bolts at this age?

Valve stem oil seals - how are these meant to come off - is there a tool/trick?

Does anyone have an electronic manual that covers 4.6 V8 engines, good old

has failed meon this one. I'm particulary interested in torque settings and theengine tuning data sections. Thanks in advance

Regards

William MacLeod

Reply to
willie

Yes, definitely. Don't re-use them under any circumstances. The head gasket (composite, of course!) clamping force on the 4.6 is, I feel, marginal at the best of times (with std bolts) and wherever possible I always replace the bolts with an ARP stud kit. Replaced lots of blown std gaskets on the

4.6, but never had one fail with a stud kit. Just remember to use some anti-sieze on them for future ease of removal!!

No special tool, just pry them off using pliers and a "twist". Good seals, although I tend not to fit them on the exhaust valves if it's a tuned engine, to allow a bit of extra lube down the "hot" guide to aid guide and stem cooling and lifespan.

All torque figures are the same as earlier versions (4.0, x-bolted 3.9), engine tuning will almost definitely be a "suck it and see" unless you are using the complete std efi setup including lambda probes. If you're planning on running carbs Wullie, may I suggest the Weber edlebrock 500 conversion as working well on the 4.6, at all attitudes! Tom Gilmour has this combination in his 90, "ping" him for further info on jetting etc. He has a Viper Hurricane cam installed, which is a really nice cam with the 4.6. All data is in Rave, easily available via the naughty disc copiers on ebay etc. Badger.

Reply to
Badger