V8 running on gas

Does anyone have experience of running a series II Disco manual with V8 LPG conversion - cost of running & maintenance etc?

Regards Tony.

Reply to
Tony

In message , Tony writes

Cost of running - assume say 10-20% less fuel economy than petrol and look at availability and price of LPG in your area compared to petrol Maintenance costs are very low - if it ain't broke don't try and fix it!! Are you converting or thinking of buying one already done? You could also ask on uk.rec.cars.lpg

Reply to
hugh

unning a series II Disco manual with

Hi Hugh, thanks for that, I saw one for sale already done. What is "uk.rec.cars.lpg" please? Tony

Reply to
Tony

running a series II Disco manual with

... you could try "uk.rec.cars.fuel.lpg" for better results!

If you can find where you are now - "alt.fan.landrover" - you can presumably work out where to find "uk.rec.cars.fuel.lpg".

Reply to
Dougal

Another news group. What type of system is it?

Reply to
hugh

You're so kind Dougal ;-))

I had a look there a couple of days ago on "THAT" Group

Five messages appeared on there when I last looked

Only to get deleted immediately

Recon that means some one that posted in that group had already got into one of the groups I subscribe to kill files , probably because of bad language

I must admit I wouldn't mind a gassed up Auto V8 Disco or Rangie but gas round here on the Yorkshire / Cumbria / Lancashire boarder is getting close to 80 P a litre

( Any one thinking of buying a second hand LPG converted vehicle make sure its got a current certificate for the tank )

Reply to
DieSea

I hadn't viewed "uk.rec.cars.fuel.lpg" when I replied. Having now done so, you're not missing anything. Scarcely a mention of lpg in recent times, just junk!

Reply to
Dougal

Hi Dougal

Ta muchly

I hadn't been watching "uk.rec.cars.fuel.lpg" lately

A year or two back I fancied a V8 of any type and knew I couldn't afford to run one on petrol

I now fancy an AUTO V8 as the Disco TDI 300 is getting a bit long in the tooth and getting close to 200K

All I want is and V8 Auto with cruise control ,

I'm not worried if its a Disco or a Rangie , it MUST have 12 months MOT AND be FREE to a GOOD Home

( I've been trained WELL , I've been wed to a Yuckshire Lass for the last 50 years or so ;-))) )

Reply to
DieSea

The conversion business is much quieter these days, but if you don't ask you won't get any replies.

Reply to
hugh

I had a DII auto, gassed with an OMVL Dream system. That engine (or rather it's management system) MUST have a sequential injection gas system or it will never run correctly, so avoid anything with an older vapour-mix style of gas system. It ran beautifully for 2 years then I sold it, returning

14mpg on local running about, 15 to 16 mpg on a long steady run. No issues, just make sure the gas filter is replaced yearly. Badger.
Reply to
Badger

In message , Badger writes

An SGI system is desirable but it is not true to say it is a MUST. It will run OK with an IMPCO style system.

Reply to
hugh

Hugh, sorry but I disagree. The DII has the Bosch Motronic based Thor management system that kills sparks as well as fuel on the over-run, and you must install a gas system that works accordingly or you will have major backfiring issues! I've been installing LPG systems on Rover V8 powered vehicles for a long, long time so I know what I am talking about here. You can get away with a vapour mix style of system on a Gems engine, but not a Thor variant, it just does not work. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

In message , Badger writes

That's funny cos I know of 2 or 3 that are and don't get backfires. But then maybe I don't know what I'm talking about.

Reply to
hugh

Oh well, I must be wrong then, I'll just f*ck off, shut up and close down my LPG conversion/V8 rebuilding business now I suppose, based on the fact that you "know of 2 or 3", whereas I have first hand experience with exactly this issue. Badger.

Reply to
Badger

I'll give up too - my experience isn't with LR products, but I have seen exactly the same issue with other spark cut on overrun engines when using anything other than SGI.

Reply to
EMB

Wouldn't be the first time...

Andrew Cleland