V8 to 2.5TD conversion

Hi all, As I am now fed up with my V8 not working properly, and I really want a diesel (it's True!), I am planning to stick in a 2.5 TD (not tdi) instead, but would like to know about possible pitfalls etc, so I have some questions..

I'm assuming I will have to move the engine mounts.

1) Will the transfer box be in the same place if I use the 2.5td and lt77 box, so I can use my existing propshafts?

2) Will an LT77 from any diesel (2.5TD or 200Tdi) fit? (bell housing, gear levers etc)

3) Are all LT230 tboxes the same with regards to fitting the gearbox? I am assuming the one fitted to my LT85 santana will bolt straight on to the LT77 - are the output shafts of the different gearboxes the same?

4) Are there different types of LT77?

Does anyone want to buy a nearly new (less than 2k miles) LT85 santana box (recon from ashcrofts)... :-)

Thanks alot for any help and info.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew T.

A little more information on which vehicle the V8 is coming out of and also which vehicle the 2.5TD is coming out of and the model years would help. I can't think why you would want to put in a TD instead of a Tdi unless it's been donated very cheaply or it's going in a Defender.

Yes, you may have to move the engine mounts but if the TD is coming from a scrap vehicle then cut the chassis mounts off with it.

I very much doubt it.

Again, depends on which vehicle and model year.

Your LT85 transfer box is part of the main box and doesn't come apart.

The output shaft flanges are the same fitting if that's what you mean.

Main casings and therefore fittings faces are the same but there are differences in ratios and shaft lengths etc.

A friend of mine runs one in a factory fitted V8 90", I'll ask him if he wants a spare.

Reply to
Oily

Oily, thanks for the info. V8 is 1986 110, TD is from 1990 90. The LT85 is not the one with integral transfer box, it's the 5 spd santana with separate normal LT230. And yes, the TD is cheap, recently rebuilt, and I used to have one in a 1989 110 and it was just fine for what I want. Cheers Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

SACRILEDGE!

Pitfalls, eh? 1.- it's a diesel. 2.- it's a noisy, clattery, rough-running lump of metal that'd be better suited having a length of chain attached to it and put to use as a boat anchor. lol.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes, as will the R380. See note further down about Disco boxes however.

Yes to all. Different ratios in the transfer boxes though, the ones that spring to mind are as follows:- Early 110 4-cylinder engines - 1.66 Early 90 4-cylinder engines - 1.44 Later 110 TD(?) and TDi - 1.44 Later 90 TD(?) and TDi - 1.21?

Yes, early ones are prone to layshaft bearing wear, later ones had larger layshaft bearings. Interchangeability is the same, however. Be aware that Disco boxes come in "short-stick" and "long-stick" variants and whilst they can be altered from one to the other it's a 'box stripdown to do so, you need "long-stick" for a defender. (Short-stick has the gear lever behind the transfer lever)

I'll ask around, I may know someone. What sort of cost?

I take it you haven't gotten anywhere with the fuel issues then? For what it's worth, I've just put a 3.9 into a rangie based kit-car and it was suffering fuel starvation issues at high rpm/loads. The cure, after much faffing around checking flow rates etc was a Facet Red-Top pump. Don't know if you've emailed me recently Andrew, but use my home email if you do - the server that does my business email seems to be playing up again! Badger.

Reply to
Badger

On or around Mon, 23 Feb 2009 04:25:30 -0800 (PST), Andrew enlightened us thusly:

well, I agree: the only reason to use the TD is that it's good and cheap.

Other than that... the differences seem mostly to be bellhousing length. You might however be bale to use the LT85 + LT230 The integral transfer box thing was the LT95 4-speeder from the rangie, nesspar?

Reply to
Austin Shackles

Hi Badger,

I was expecting a reply from you!! Thanks for all the great information. It's a big step (and probably expensive) getting rid of the V8 and I realise that it could be something simple wrong with it, but it's been dragging on for so long and I just can't be bothered anymore, plus the hassle of having many jerrycans of petrol sitting around as I rarely go into town with it. The final straw was the exhaust throwing a wobbly this week and erupting with several holes. If I put the diesel in, I would use the LR more, as even though the TD will not be 'very' economical, it will be far better than my V8, even it was working correctly. I used to have a 1989 110 TD and it was OK for what I want, even took it to Switzerland several times.

I haven't sent you an email that recently, I think you replied to my last one, I have been busy fixing my little tractor (2 cyl Kubota) and have tried to ignore the 110 for a while so I don't end up dumping it in the Loch....

Regarding the LT85, well I paid 525 + vat exchange in August 2007, I will check the mileage, but 99% sure it's less than 2000 miles since then, so say start at 450, but very open to negotiation especially as I assume it will be Scotland, so we could arrange something regarding delivery (my in-laws live on the Black Isle).

Any takers for the V8?? :-) only 40k miles, new clutch at same time as LT85... newish cam.. needs some fettling to make run up hills properly:-))

Thanks again Badger, Regards, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

Thanks Austin, yes I was wondering whether it is possible to connect the LT85 to the 2.5TD, but I'm not sure, does anyone know? Yes, it is the LT95 4 speed that has the integral Tbox, I used to have one of those as well.

Cheers, Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

"Andrew T." wrote

On a similar note, is it possible to convert a Carb V8 to Fuel Injection? There were various uses of this engine, or variants, that were fuel injected (including various TVRs) so is it possible to get stuff from a scrap yard to just bolt on?

You'd probably get better fuel consumption that a 2.5TD then Andrew.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

Interesting idea Bob, and would save alot of grief - any thoughts Badger? Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

On second thoughts, no I really don't want to keep the V8. I need to keep focused on the TD transplant, or I'll never get anything done about it

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

I think they had different comp ratios?

Reply to
Nige

Why???

Unless you start off with a somewhat modded and totally rebuilt TD it will be dreadful.

Use a 200tdi at the least, and dont bother messing with the TD, which is likely to be no less thirsty than a tired V8, and expire without warning too.

Tim .

Reply to
Tim..

Its dead easy to convert a carbed v8 to EFI. You just need the manifold + efi bits (Airflow meter, wiring loom, ecu) off an EFI engine such as from a RR 3.9

There is a couple of EFI converted 101's about.

Reply to
Tom Woods

Sell the V8 110 in its entirety and buy one that already runs on diesel.

Reply to
EMB

Love to, but mine would fetch nothing now, as it's not working properly, also it has perfect chassis. never welded and no rust (this is a 1986), body work also very good. I'd never be able to afford a similar diesel version. Also very difficult to sell and buy where I live. (W. Highlands) Andrew

Reply to
Andrew

TD's are not all that bad, the one I had was great, no problems at all. The TD I'm buying has been rebuilt and is a good price, comes will all ancilliaries and will be easy to fit. Finding a decent tdi is not so easy, especially one to go in a defender.

Reply to
Andrew

Have you thought about de-turboing a Disco 200tDi and using that - it should give close to the same power as a 2.5TD with a lot more reliability. Something like what Glencoyne Engineering do.

EMB

TD's are not all that bad, the one I had was great, no problems at all. The TD I'm buying has been rebuilt and is a good price, comes will all ancilliaries and will be easy to fit. Finding a decent tdi is not so easy, especially one to go in a defender.

Strongly suggest you get the TDI rad and intercooler and hook this up.

Tim.

Reply to
Tim..